Sponsored By
Ohio Farmer

Housing now available for H-2A visa holdersHousing now available for H-2A visa holders

Applications for program will be accepted through Aug. 27, 2018.

July 12, 2018

1 Min Read

Domestic farm laborers legally admitted into the U.S. under an H-2A work visa are now eligible for state-inspected housing, due to a change in the Housing Act of 1949

USDA released internal guidance on changes made to farm labor housing eligibility on July 10. The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2018 amended a section of the Housing Act of 1949 to extend the Farm Labor Housing tenant eligibility to agricultural workers legally admitted to the United States and authorized to work in agriculture.

“Finding suitable housing for temporary agriculture workers has always been a challenge faced by our farmers and producers,” said Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue. “The seasonal workers coming to the United States do tremendous work for American agriculture. I am pleased that USDA programs can now better assist farmers needing to provide housing while they’re here. I thank Congress for addressing this issue in its most recent funding bill and hope to continue the conversation on farm labor for our agriculture industry.” 

Applications will be accepted for Farm Labor Housing Direct Loans and Grants through Aug. 27, 2018. The program provides affordable financing to develop housing for year-round and seasonal domestic farm laborers.

Source: USDA 


The loans have always been restricted to U.S. citizens or permanent residents. - GoodFruit

Subscribe to receive top agriculture news
Be informed daily with these free e-newsletters

You May Also Like