Do you look up to a neighboring farmer or farm couple? If they aren’t already on the list of Master Farmers, why not nominate them for the golden anniversary class of 2018? Nominations can only come from readers.
Here are five easy steps to follow to nominate someone this year.
1. Select a deserving farmer or farm couple. Almost everyone knows someone who goes above and beyond, both in farming and in serving their community. The Master Farmer nomination form allows you to decide if you want to nominate a farmer or a farm couple. Many people nominate a couple if both are heavily involved in the farming operation.
2. Obtain the nomination form. You have three choices. Visit the Master Farmers section on Indiana Prairie Farmer’s website, and scroll to the bottom of that story. Click on the orange “download” button, and print out a form. Or, call 317-431-8766 and request a form. Or you can request a form by mail: Indiana Prairie Farmer, P.O. Box 247, Franklin, IN 46131.
3. Find information and fill out the nomination form. You have more decisions to make. You can tell the person you’re nominating and ask for information about their farm. Or you can work with a relative, spouse or employee who can supply the information if you want to keep it a secret from the nominee(s).
4. Find six people to write letters of support for your nominee(s). Strong applications include letters of support from people who know the nominee(s). They can be neighbors, a government employee who works with the person, a landowner, relative, seed corn dealer, pastor and many more. Anyone who believes in the person as you do is a good choice.
5. Submit the nomination form by Feb. 15. Send it to: Indiana Prairie Farmer, P.O. Box 247, Franklin, IN 46131.
If you have questions, need an extension for a valid reason or wish to submit your form electronically, email [email protected], or call 317-431-8766.
Thanks in advance for nominating someone!
The Master Farmer program is co-sponsored by the Purdue University College of Agriculture.