In October, we celebrate National Pork Month. This year, we're celebrating with funny pig/pork product memes. However, we also understand that raising hogs and producing pork is serious business that involves so many people.
This month, and every month, we appreciate your hard work! Before you click through the gallery for some laughs, check out some pork facts!
Pork industry facts
- The pork industry supports more than half a million jobs.
- There are more than 60,000 pork producers.
- Annually, more than 115 million hogs are markets, providing a gross income of more than $20 billion.
- In 2020, more than 40.5 billion pounds of pork were produced in the U.S.
- There are 2.2 million metric tons of pork and pork-related products exported annually.
- Pork farmers contribute only about 1/3 of 1 percent of U.S. emissions.
- Pork is the world's most consumed meat.
- Iowa is the top pork-producing state, at 23.8 million hogs. Minnesota ranks second in production, with 9 million.
- The pig was one of the first animals to be domesticated, over 6,000 years ago.
- A pig can run one mile in seven minutes.
- Pigs can drink up to 14 gallons of water a day.
- Insulin, and more than 40 other medicines, are made from pigs. And pig heart valves can be used to replace human heart valves.
- Baby pigs weigh around 3.5 pounds, and its weight will double in seven days.
- Full-grown pigs weigh a few hundred pounds, and males can grow to more than 500 pounds. Females weigh between 300 and 500 pounds.
Pork product facts
- Ham is the number one sandwich eaten in U.S. households.
- Pork is 75 percent leaner than in the 1950s.
- The average American consumes about 50.8 pounds of pork per year.
Other sources: National Pork Producers Council, Colorado Pork Producers Council, USDA NASS