Dairy checkoff leaders elected officers at the 2018 Joint Annual Meeting of the National Dairy Promotion and Research Board, United Dairy Industry Association and National Milk Producers Federation in Phoenix.
“I’m honored to join fellow farmers and help contribute to a successful future for U.S. dairy over the short and long term,” said Marilyn Hershey, a farmer from Cochranville, Penn., who was re-elected chairman of Dairy Management Inc. “The board and elected officers represent our partnership to fund, govern and lead the dairy checkoff program.”
DMI, which manages the national checkoff program, is co-funded by NDB and UDIA. In addition to Hershey, other DMI officers elected:
- Vice Chair – Steve Maddox, Riverdale, Calif.
- Secretary – Skip Hardie, Groton, N.Y.
- Treasurer – Steve Ballard, Gooding, Idaho
The NDB also elected the following officers:
- Chair – Brad Scott, San Jacinto, Calif.
- Vice Chair – Connie Seefeldt, Coleman, Wisc.
- Secretary – Deb Vander Kooi, Worthington, Minn.
- Treasurer – Carol Ahlem, Hilmar, Calif.
The 37-member NDB, formed in May 1984 under the authority of the Dairy Production Stabilization Act of 1983, carries out coordinated promotion and research programs to help build demand, and expand domestic and international markets for dairy products.
UDIA officers elected:
- Chair – Neil Hoff, Windthorst, Texas
- 1st Vice Chair – Allen Merrill, Parker, S.D.
- 2nd Vice Chair, American Dairy Association – Tom Woods, Gage, Okla.
- 2nd Vice Chair, National Dairy Council – Audrey Donahoe, Clayville, N.Y.
- 2nd Vice Chair, UDIA Member Relations – Rick Podtburg, Greeley, Colo.
- Secretary – Jim Reid, Grant Township, Mich.
- Treasurer – John Brubaker, Buhl, Idaho
The UDIA is a federation of state and regional dairy farmer-funded promotion organizations that provide marketing programs developed and implemented in coordination with its members. The UDIA is overseen by a board comprised of dairy farmers elected by respective local and regional boards of UDIA member organizations.