A Sugarcane Field Day is set for Friday, June 1, at the USDA Sugarcane Experiment Station at 501 Bull Run Road in Houma, Louisiana.
The program will begin at 8:00 a.m. and the field tour at 9:00 a.m.
Topics will include:
- Success! Update on the Crossing Facilities of the USDA-ARS.
- The Varietal Anomalies of L01-283 -- Getting Down to the Molecular Level.
- Commercial Sugarcane Varieties -- What’s New, What’s Working.
- Managing Soil Fertility Levels to Maximize Yields and Insure Profitability.
- Starter and Delayed Release Fertilizers and Sunn Hemp as a Cover Crop During Fallow.
- The Downside Effect of a Mild Winter on Diseases.
- Benefits of Bermudagrass Control in Sugarcane.
Following the field tour participants will travel to the Sheriff’s Riffle Range off Savanne Road for a Sugar Industry and Crop update.