The state winners of the 2019 Growmark FFA essay contest have been announced:
- John Schubbe, of Peotone, Illinois, a student at Peotone High School and a member of the Peotone FFA Chapter. His FFA adviser is Abby Jacobs.
- Tyler Tessman of Audubon, Iowa, is a student at Audubon High School and a member of the Audubon FFA Chapter. His FFA adviser is Brittany Elmquist.
- Taylor Case of Russellville, Missouri, is a student at Cole R-1 Russellville High School and a member of the Russellville FFA Chapter. Her FFA adviser is Ellen Amos.
- Cori Lee of Marysville, Ohio, is a student at Marysville High School and a member of the Marysville FFA Chapter. Her FFA adviser is Shari Anderson.
- Marie Hamlin of Roberts, Wisconsin, is a student at St. Croix Central High School and a member of the St. Croix Central FFA Chapter. Her FFA adviser is Gretchen Rozeboom.
The theme of this year's contest was "What does the future of agriculture look like to you, and what skills will you need to play a part in it?"
Each state's contest winner receives a $500 award from Growmark at their state FFA convention. The winner's FFA chapter also receives a $300 award in honor of their accomplishment.
Four runners-up in each state receive a $125 award. The runners-up and their FFA chapters, in alphabetical order by state:
- Graham Bishop, Athens FFA, Springfield, Illinois;
- Erin Henze, Eastland FFA, Shannon, Illinois;
- Michael Seabloom, Orion FFA, Lynn Center, Illinois; and
- Travis Wilke, Olney FFA, Olney, Illinois.
- Kaitlyn Bean, North Linn FFA, Walker, Iowa;
- Catie Collison, South Central Calhoun FFA, Lake City, Iowa;
- Marie Knepper, Cascade FFA, Cascade, Iowa; and
- Ben Vos, Pella Christian FFA, Pella, Iowa.
- Emily Christan, Hermitage FFA, Hermitage, Missouri;
- Jacob Knaebel, Fatima FFA, Jefferson City, Missouri;
- Emily Meyer, Bowling Green FFA, Bowling Green, Missouri; and
- Tessa Travelute, King City FFA, Union Star, Missouri.
- Nora Beresik, Fort Loramie-UVCC FFA, Fort Loramie, Ohio;
- Jerilyn Garrett, Peebles FFA, Peebles, Ohio;
- Erin Green, Carrollton FFA, Carrollton, Ohio; and
- Rose Zeedyk, Fairview FFA, Ney, Ohio.
- Chelsea Braun, Kiel FFA, New Holstein, Wisconsin;
- Sara Nehring, Weyauwega-Fremont FFA, Weyauwega, Wisconsin;
- Madison Russell, Shullsburg FFA, Shullsburg, Wisconsin; and
- Douglas Woyak, Elkhorn FFA, Elkhorn, Wisconsin.
This is the 26th year for the program, sponsored by the Growmark System and FS member cooperatives, in conjunction with state FFA leaders, to help young people develop their writing skills, learn about current issues in agriculture, and understand the unique role of cooperatives.
Source: Growmark, which is solely responsible for the information provided and is wholly owned by the source. Informa Business Media and all its subsidiaries are not responsible for any of the content contained in this information asset.