Nebraska Farmer Logo

The annual fundraiser, which is set for June 4-5, will feature concerts by Eastin Corbin and Tracy Byrd.

Curt Arens, Editor, Nebraska Farmer

June 3, 2021

2 Min Read
Cattle in field
READY TO RAISE FUNDS: Ninety percent of funds raised by the Cattlemen’s Ball each year go directly to the Fred and Pamela Buffett Cancer Center in Omaha, with the remainder going to local community health organizations.Curt Arens

If you can have fun and raise money for a worthy cause at the same time, it makes for a successful fundraiser. Since 1998, the Cattlemen’s Ball of Nebraska has been accomplishing these goals, raising nearly $15 million to support cancer research.

In fact, 90% of the proceeds collected annually are given directly to the Fred and Pamela Buffett Cancer Center in Omaha, used specifically for cutting-edge cancer research. The remaining 10% of funds are returned to local communities to benefit area health organizations and initiatives.

This year, the Cattlemen’s Ball will be at the Scott and Patricia Mueller farm in Columbus, Neb. The Muellers are big into beef — and are busy with a cow-calf operation, a feedlot, crops, feed sales, commodity trading, and a process verified program, Samson LLC. Their two sons, Jordan and Brandon, also have been involved in planning for this year’s ball.

Activities for the ball kick off June 4 with a golf tournament at Elks Country Club. A silent auction takes place later in the afternoon, into the evening, along with health and wellness screenings, a general store and a history tent. There is a Trail Boss reception, a wine and art tent, and a live auction in the evening Friday, capped off with a concert by Tracy Byrd.

Saturday’s activities on June 5 kick off with the Nebraska Rawhide Run at Lake North. There is a Trail Boss champagne brunch in the morning, along with the opening of a silent auction. Saturday’s full lineup includes a wine tasting, Nebraska Bush Pullers, a Trail Boss luncheon, a style show, a beef experience, and a farm and ranch auction, capped off with a prime rib dinner, live auction, truck raffle giveaway and an evening program. Eastin Corbin takes the stage for his concert that evening, followed by Side Step Band.

COVID-19 canceled the 2020 Cattlemen’s Ball, but in 2019, it last was hosted by Wayne and Chris Krausnick at Wauneta, and the event raised a total of $673,739.

Over the years, the ball has been hosted by families in Hebron, Anselmo, Princeton, Lynch, Harrisburg, Sutherland, McCool Junction, West Point, Kearney, Doniphan, Albion, Lodgepole, Milford, Wisner, Brady, Ashland, Valparaiso, Valentine, Arthur and Lexington, in addition to the 1998 inaugural event at Ainsworth and the 2019 event at Wauneta.

Learn more about the Cattlemen’s Ball of Nebraska online at Email [email protected] for more information.

About the Author(s)

Curt Arens

Editor, Nebraska Farmer

Curt Arens began writing about Nebraska’s farm families when he was in high school. Before joining Farm Progress as a field editor in April 2010, he had worked as a freelance farm writer for 27 years, first for newspapers and then for farm magazines, including Nebraska Farmer.

His real full-time career, however, during that same period was farming his family’s fourth generation land in northeast Nebraska. He also operated his Christmas tree farm and grew black oil sunflowers for wild birdseed. Curt continues to raise corn, soybeans and alfalfa and runs a cow-calf herd.

Curt and his wife Donna have four children, Lauren, Taylor, Zachary and Benjamin. They are active in their church and St. Rose School in Crofton, where Donna teaches and their children attend classes.

Previously, the 1986 University of Nebraska animal science graduate wrote a weekly rural life column, developed a farm radio program and wrote books about farm direct marketing and farmers markets. He received media honors from the Nebraska Forest Service, Center for Rural Affairs and Northeast Nebraska Experimental Farm Association.

He wrote about the spiritual side of farming in his 2008 book, “Down to Earth: Celebrating a Blessed Life on the Land,” garnering a Catholic Press Association award.

Subscribe to receive top agriculture news
Be informed daily with these free e-newsletters

You May Also Like