As harvest comes to a close for 2018, crop producers, livestock producers, ag lenders and suppliers are planning ahead for next year. Offering valuable insight on key factors impacting decisions farmers must make in 2019, Iowa State University Extension economists will present helpful information at a series of upcoming meetings. ISU’s annual Pro-Ag Outlook and Management Seminars will be held across the state in November and December.
Each three-hour meeting includes information on grain price outlook and global factors to watch, livestock prices and margins, and farmland operating margins, outlook and trends.
The focus of the program is to provide agribusiness leaders a concise evaluation of current market conditions, expected trends in crop and livestock income potential, and management implications. Participants also will gain insight on implications trade agreements have on Iowa producers and the critical role of land values and interest rates in the stabilization of the ag sector.
Speakers will vary by location but will include these ISU Extension specialists: Chad Hart, grain market economist; Alejandro Plastina, farm management economist; Lee Schulz, livestock economist; Keri Jacobs, co-operatives economist; and Wendong Zhang, economist specializing in land values. Area ISU Extension field specialists will also be present at the meetings.
Attend a Pro Ag meeting near you
This program takes an in-depth look into the outlook for agriculture in 2019 and provides an opportunity to discuss the current Iowa economic situation with university experts.
Seminar locations and dates:
• Nov. 9 at 9 a.m., Altoona, ISU Extension Polk County office, 515-957-5760
• Nov. 12 at 9:30 a.m., Carroll, ISU Extension Carroll County office, 712-792-2364
• Nov. 14 at 4 p.m., Fort Dodge, ISU Extension Webster County office, 515-576-2119
• Nov. 15 at 9:30 a.m., Waterloo, Hawkeye Community College, Tama Hall, 319-234-6811
• Nov. 16 at 12:30 p.m., Mason City, Muse-Norris Conference Center, North Iowa Area Community College, 641-423-0844
• Nov. 21 at 9 a.m., Cresco, Howard County Fairgrounds, Featherlite Center, 563-547-3001
• Dec. 3 at 9 a.m., Greenfield, Warren Cultural Center Auditorium, 641-743-8412
• Dec. 5 at 12:30 p.m., Iowa City, ISU Extension Johnson County office, 319-337-2145
• Dec. 6 at 8 a.m., Mount Pleasant, ISU Extension Henry County office, 319-385-8126
• Dec. 6 at 2 p.m., Bloomfield, Pioneer Ridge Nature Center, 641-673-5841
• Dec. 12 at 9 a.m., Sheldon, Northwest Iowa Community College, Building A, Room 117, 712-957-5045
• Dec. 12 at 2 p.m., Storm Lake, Prairie Lakes AEA, 712-732-5056
The sessions are open to the public; however, preregistration is requested two days prior to date of event. Speakers, registration fees and provided meals vary by location. For locations, times and program information, contact the ISU farm management field specialist in your area.
Source: Iowa State University