Prairie Farmer Logo

Event raises $222,650 for junior producers, FFA and 4-H

August 14, 2013

1 Min Read

Buyers at the Illinois State Fair Governor's Sale of Champions Tuesday night collectively raised $222,650 for the youngsters who exhibited Land of Lincoln champion animals as well as the state's 4-H and FFA youth education programs. 

Record-breaking prices were offered for the Land of Lincoln meat goat, the grand champion meat goat, the Land of Lincoln wether, the Land of Lincoln barrow, the grand champion barrow, the Land of Lincoln steer and the grand champion steer. 

In addition, the Land of Lincoln Supreme Champion Dairy Female Print tied its record sales price.

state_fair_sale_champions_breaks_previous_records_1_635120699194108919.jpg

The junior producers who raised the champion animals receive 80% of the sales price. The 4-H and FFA programs split the remaining 20% equally.

The grand champion steer, exhibited by Nelson England of Oneida, fetched the highest price.  It sold for $62,000, or $10,000 more than the previous record.

The largest increases were recorded by the Land of Lincoln wether and Land of Lincoln barrow.  Hanna Runner's wether sold for $19,100, more than twice as much as the former record of $9,500, and Lane Rinderer's barrow sold for $40,650, breaking the previous record for the animal of $11,000.  Runner is from Sciota.  Rinderer hails from Elkhart. 

Full results are below.  The record-breaking amounts are in bold.

State Fair Sale of Champions Breaks Previous Records

Subscribe to receive top agriculture news
Be informed daily with these free e-newsletters

You May Also Like