Farm Progress is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

State offers tax relief, help with recovery for fire victims

land burnt by recent wildfires
HELPING VICTIMS: The state of Kansas is taking action to help those who have been affected by wildfires. Materials to rebuild fences, for example, will be exempt from sales tax. Fees and fines for replacing documents such as driver's license, car titles and tax returns lost in the fires will be waived.
Ranchers can get refund or exemption from sales tax on fencing materials; replacing documents also made easier.

To help farmers and ranchers rebuilding after the 2016 and 2017 Kansas wildfires, the Kansas Department of Revenue has created with information on applying for refund and exemption certificates.

In March, the Legislature passed and Gov. Sam Brownback signed into law a bill exempting the sales tax on fencing material used to reconstruct agricultural fences destroyed by wildfires in calendar years 2016 and 2017.

The page includes information on both the refund and exemption certificate application processes, the required forms for both programs and answers to frequently asked questions.

“We realize that Kansas farmers and ranchers are rebuilding their lives and hope that this information will help them access assistance easily,” says Revenue Secretary Sam Williams.

Visit for more information on the refund and sales tax exemption certificates.

In addition to the sales tax exemptions, the department is also waiving some fines and fees for those in fire-affected areas:

• Those who lost a driver’s license or ID card in the wildfires can get a free replacement by visiting a state driver’s licensing office or a county treasurer’s office that offers driver’s license renewals.

• Those who need to replace vehicle titles lost in the wildfires can get a free replacement by visiting their local county treasurer’s office.

• People who need replacement copies of their tax returns can call 785-296-3081, and the department will provide a copy for free.

• Those who lost vehicles in the wildfires can bring insurance claims to their local county treasurer’s office and apply for a refund for the vehicle’s tags.

• Homeowners may be eligible for a property tax abatement on destroyed or substantially destroyed dwellings due to fire. Contact your county appraiser's office for details.

• For businesses that were affected by the wildfires and are busy trying to reopen, the department will waive any late filing fees they incur if they file those taxes late. The owner should call 785-368-8222 to coordinate with the department.

Source: Kansas Department of Revenue

See related: FFA members spend part of spring break helping wildfire victims

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.