Now is the time to think seriously about nominating someone to be a Master Farmer in 2018. The awards program is sponsored by Indiana Prairie Farmer and the Purdue University College of Agriculture. Nominations are due Feb. 15, and the awards program will be held in conjunction with the 2018 Indiana Farm Management Tour in June.
Here are five reasons why you should strongly consider nominating someone for the award.
1. This is the 50th anniversary of the modern program! The Master Farmer program was originally started by Prairie Farmer in the 1920s, but was discontinued in the 1930s. The first class of the modern era was named in 1968. Four or more Master Farmers have been added to this prestigious group every year since then.
2. You get a chance to recognize someone deserving. Not everyone is worthy of even being nominated as a Master Farmer. Judging is based on farming ability, leadership ability and overall family values. If you have a neighbor you look up to, this is the time to help them get the recognition they deserve.
3. Only you can nominate someone. This is not a top-down program. Editors can’t nominate someone, even though editors meet outstanding individuals yet to be recognized all the time. The nomination must come from a peer in the ag industry.
4. You can play “I’ve got a secret” if you want to. Some people tell the person who is being nominated. Others keep it a surprise. They work with a family member to get the information needed to fill out the form. The application is not complicated. You need up to six letters of support from other individuals backing your candidate.
5. You might get a free meal! Successful nominators and their guest are invited to the Master Farmer banquet. Besides good food, it’s always great fun and fellowship.
To obtain an entry form, write to: Indiana Prairie Farmer, P.O. Box 247, Franklin, IN 461341; call Tom J. Bechman at 317-431-6562; email [email protected]; or simply click on the “hamburger menu” tab at the top left of this page and select Master Farmers.
Master Farmers Who Have Already Earned The Award
We often get asked who has won the award. Here's a list since 1968. Those who are deceased are marked with an asterisk. If you know someone on the list who is deceased and not marked, please let us know at 317-431-8766 or [email protected]
1968: Mark Anson, Guy Beerbower*, George Corya, Richard Craig, Ernest Miller*, William Nash*, Kenneth Perkins*, James Scherschel, Gerald Tarnow, Philip Warner*
1969: Ellsworth Biesecker, Walter Carter*, Robert Gross, Robert Harper*, Glen Lightfoot, Byron Nixon, Jr., Robert Williams
1970: Norman Becher, William Cable*, Paul Canary*, Orville Chamberlain, Virgil Gerhardt*, Carl Johanningsmeier, John McCormick*
1971: Lloyd Clayton*, Morris Hoar, Erland Rothenberger*, William Rothenberger*, James Shilling, Richard Ward*
1972: Francis Beck*, Sherman Kessler*, Henry Nieman, Russell Norris*, Dwight Smoker*
1973: Kenneth T. Caldwell, H. Roland Moesner*, Carroll L. Thompson*, Paul G. Thurston*, Samuel H. Washburn
1974: Roy Elliott, Cecil Madill*, Lincoln Priebe*, John Rodibaugh, Gilman Stewart,*, John Stewart
1975: Max Foster*, Donald Green, Marvin Mann*, Victor Sprong, Ellis McFadden
1976: John Keithley, Ralph Kennedy, Gilbert H. Schmidt*, David C. Salomon, Cecil P. Westerhouse*
1977: Marjorie Colglazier*, Kenneth Culp, Robert Morgan, Harold L. Myers, Maurice B. Woodward
1978: William Congleton, Frank C. Forster*, John V. Maloney*, George w. Pickering*, Jerry D. Roberts
1979: Lawrence (Sonny) Beck, Donald W. Brown*, Roger F. Doerstler*, Thomas E. Howell*, Jack W. Torr*
1980: Lloyd A. Arthur*, Charles A. Kirlin, O. William Mann*, Thomas E. Murray, Raymond E. Musselman*
1981: O.T. (Ted) Blank, Gary Clark, Arthur Colbert*, Burch R. Harlan, Ralph E. Mautz
1982: Beryl (Jake) Grimme, Sylvan W. Ice, Robert G. Persinger, Dale Smith, Donald H. Strietelmeier
1983: William Howard Adler*, Phil Boring, Tom Simons, Bill Smiley, Howard E. Springer
1984: Pete Clark, John Hardin, Jr., Jim Martin*, Philip A. Maxwell*, Harold Wilson*
1985: Herman Bullard*, C. Ray Lamb, Warren Harlan*, Richard L. Welty, Don Villwock
1986: Fred O. Mann, Joe Rund, Robert Stickles, Charles F. Walker
1987: Leroy Brammer, William T. Crane*, Robert Foltz, Bill and Kaye Whitehead
1988: Harry T. Armstrong*, Robert Ward Johnson*, Carl Martin, Larry J. Pumphrey
1989: Homer C. McDonald, Steve Sickafoose, Wayne Townsend, J. Olen Yoder
1990: Tom Boyd, Merrill Kelsay, James Moseley, William Pickart
1991: Dave and Ron Johnson, Paul Keffaber*, Wally Linneweber, Larry Stoy
1992: Raymond Becher, Alan Kemper, Howard Unger, Fred and Linda Wise
1993: Gene Brune, Wayne McCutchan, James Pettigrew, Jerry Rulon
1994: Scott Fritz, Don Jones*, George Likens, Herbert Likens, Bob Mills
1995: James Reed, Donald Rettinger, Herman Rettinger, Roland Seller, Brad Starr
1996: Paul Brocksmith*, Donald Gurtner, Kenneth Phares, James Smoker
1997: William W. Erwin, George W. Krom III, Donald E. Morehouse, Thomas Roney
1998: James Bell, Greg Graham, Hubert McGaughey, Joe Vieck
1999: Dayton Merrell, Myron Moyer, John A. Norton, Paul D. Smith
2000: L. David Allyn, Joe Huber*, David A, Minich, Joseph M. Russell
2001: Dennis Carnahan, Kendall Culp, Lynn Stockwell, Norman Voyles, Sr.
2002: Kenneth L. Ames, Mike Beard, Dave Buck (Milroy)*, Dave Forgey
2003: David A. Buck (Lafayette)*, Bruce Moody, Richard (Dick) Nash, David Williamson
2004: Mike Brocksmith, Wilber Hoeing, Bert Holsapple*, Clark Sennett
2005: Roger Hadley II, Robert Mann, Joe Peden, Ed Yanos
2006: Jim Culp, Mark Legan, Gary Reding, Mark Townsend
2007: Scott Beck, Bruce Buchanan, Jim Douglas, Davids Miers
2008: Robert Bishop, Thomas Johnson, Jim Lankford, Rory Walker
2009: Rodney Hager, Chris Mann, Maurice Robeson, R. Duane Wolheter
2010: Keith Berry, David and Mary Howell, Ray McCormick, Mike Shuter
2011: Jim Day, Bill Schroeder (Knox County), Loran Wilson, John Zupancic
2012: Keith Ames, Kim Ames, Kerry Ames, Ed Carmichael, Gene Schmidt, Bill Schroeder (White County)
2013: Kevin Cox, David Ring, Ken and Jane Rulon, Del and Tammi Unger
2014: Jack and Rita Maloney, Carl and Diane Schmitz, David and Danita Rodibaugh, Mike and Karen Starkey
2015: Mike Flock, Mike and Jan Heckaman, Terry and Susan Hayhurst, Richard and Carol Kohlhagen
2016: Dan Gwin; Tom and Karen McKinney; John and Nan Nidlinger; Don and Darci Zolman.
2017: Denny Bell, Larry Holscher, John and Kristi Kretzmeier, Stan Poe, Lonnie Mason
Honorary Master Farmers: Hobe Jones, Mauri Williamson, Howard Doster, Max Armstrong, David Petritz, Tom Turpin, Bruce McKenzie, Tom Bauman, Wayne Dillman, Fred Whitford, Bill Field, Chris Hurt, Bret Marsh
Download the application: Use the orange button below to download the application. Due by Feb. 15.