Farm Progress is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Serving: East

Who do you call about a chemical or environmental emergency?

Diked storage tank
WHO TO CALL: This storage tank is diked. What if it wasn’t and a leak occurred? Would you know who to call? Find important contact information here.
Post this contact information in a common location where you can reach it in a hurry.

Who are you going to call if you realize you just ingested a poisonous chemical? Or if a herbicide tank cracked and spilled chemical? Or if herbicide drifted onto your sensitive crop?

Here’s a clue: It’s not Ghostbusters! It wouldn’t have been after the original movie “Ghostbusters” debuted three decades ago, and it certainly wouldn’t be after the paltry remake that came out last year.

How about calling someone who can offer real help instead? Here is key contact information for real-life emergencies that could happen to anyone, anywhere.

• Accidental poisoning.  Call the Indiana Poison Center at 800-222-1222. If you have an older number, spokespersons at the center ask that you discard it and use this number. The number is answered 24 hours a day, and language service is available. Serving the entire state, the center is located in Indianapolis.

• Chemical spill. Contact the Indiana Department of Environmental Management. If it’s not an emergency, call 800-451-6027. A 24-hour hotline is available for emergencies only; that number is 888-233-7745. If you call the nonemergency number during business hours, you will receive a list of options, such as “air quality” or “water quality.” You can also access emergency response through this number during business hours.

• Hazardous material information. If you need information about a hazardous substance, you can contact Chemtrec through a 24-hour hotline number: 800-424-9300. To learn more about services offered through Chemtrec, visit

• Worker protection information. Contact the Office of Indiana State Chemist, located in the Biochemistry Building at Purdue University. The general number is 765-494-1492. If you are calling specifically for information about worker protection standards, call 765-494-1589.

• Misuse of dicamba products or other herbicides. If you have questions or complaints, contact the Office of Indiana State Chemist. Call 800-893-6637, or email [email protected].

• Updates on pesticide labels. Want to know if there have been changes to the Enlist Duo, XtendiMax or Engenia labels? Visit


Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.