Farm Progress is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Serving: United States

Your input

High-tech too costly for small farms

The article “New frontier farms” (February 2002, p. 8) is one of good intentions but it gives the idea that all farmers should go with all of these expensive gadgets. Most of these products are ones that are great and would be wonderful to have, but most farmers cannot afford them. I have lived on a farm nearly all my life and I know that all new stuff would be nice, but it is not an option unless you are getting the revenues from somewhere else. I will agree with the fact that in the future there will be more technology in farming. But there is no way that a little family farmer can afford most of this new equipment. The only ones who are going to be able to buy the equipment are the big farmers. This will put the family farms out of business and there is already too much of that happening today.
Eric Flesberg
Argusville, ND

Sprayer parts

Where can I find parts for a John Bean Sprayer pump? They used to be in Lansing, MI, and San Jose, CA, but both places are closed. This sprayer was built in 1960.
James F. Webb
Grand Junction, IA

Contact John Bean Sprayers, 101 Duran Rd., LaGrange, GA 30241.

Rebuilt gearbox

Where can I get parts for a Shivvers gearbox? I had a grain bin fire.
Gary Benjamin
via e-mail

Contact Shivvers Inc., Box 467, Corydon, IA 50060, 800/245-9093, and ask for the parts department.

Gears needed

Could you tell me if M&W Gear Company is still in business?
via e-mail

M&W Gear Co. is located at Rt. 47 South, Gibson City, IL 60936, 217/784-4261.

Sheller parts

Can you tell me where to get parts for a Haban corn sheller?
Dick Ladrach
Sugarcreek, OH

Haban Manufacturing is now owned by Agri-Fab. Contact Agri-Fab for parts at 303 W. Raymond St., Sullivan, IL 61951, 217/728-8388.

Out of business

I need a part (u-joint) that goes on the main gear case of a Levco ditching machine (very old). I turned up nothing on the Web.
David Evans
Galatia, IL

The company was located in Wynn, AR, but it just went out of business, according to the local chamber of commerce.

Tap and die set

I need parts for a Little Giant screw plate tap and die set made by GTD, Greenfield Tap & Die Corp., Greenfield, MA. Can you please tell me at what address I can reach this company or where I can get these parts?
C. Kruse
Petersburg, IL

Parts may be found at local distributors. For your location in Illinois, contact Black & Company at 217/428-4424.

Grain cleaner

I am looking for a wheat screen for a grain cleaner made by Farm Fans Inc., Indianapolis, IN. I have been unable to contact the company.
J. Francis Minck
Cecil, OH

Contact ffi Corporation, 5900 Elmwood Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46203, 317/787-6341,

How to reach us

Write to us at; Farm Industry News, 7900 International Dr., Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 55425; or (click on e-mail). We assume all letters to be for publication. Letters may be edited for length and clarity.

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.