Customers have an alternative to static PDFs and Excel versions of the data maintained by USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service, which issues several transportation reports, including the weekly Grain Transportation Report.
“Farmers, commodity analysts, elevator operators, shippers and other stakeholders rely on USDA data to make timely market decisions as they move agricultural products across the country and around the world,” said Marketing and Regulatory Programs Under Secretary Greg Ibach. “Our new open data platform improves their customer experience and, ultimately, their competitiveness in the global economy.”
This new platform meets the tenets outlined in the Open Government Data Act – it is easy to find, download, use and share. Customers can access the data at https://agtransport.usda.gov and will be able to use the data visualization tool to:
- View up-to-date, interactive dashboards or major transportation modes and markets;
- Access data in many different, open file formats;
- Access data through automatically generated and maintained Application Programming Interfaces (API), which open the door to the development of cell phone and web apps built using the data;
- Select and download data using easy filtering and aggregating;
- Create a variety of visualizations from datasets, including maps; and
- Save personalized dataset views and visualizations that are automatically updated to show the latest insights.
Source: USDA, which is solely responsible for the information provided and is wholly owned by the source. Informa Business Media and all its subsidiaries are not responsible for any of the content contained in this information asset.