Seven people have been appointed by Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue to serve on the National Honey Board.
Members and alternates newly appointed to serve three-year terms:
- Jeffrey Z. Dong, Oceanside, Calif.
- Tom Sargeantson, Denver, Colo.
- Arlen D. Penner, Hillsboro, Kan.
- John A. Olney, Tecumseh, Mich.
- Patricia J. Sundberg, Columbus, Mont.
- Kevin Jensen, Flasher, N.D.
- Denise Willi, Sleepy Hollow, N.Y., is appointed to serve as an alternate for one year to fill a vacancy.
The 20-member National Honey Board is made up of three first handler representatives, two importer representatives, one importer-handler representative, three producer representatives, and one marketing cooperative representative and their alternates.
Since 1966, Congress has authorized the establishment of 22 industry-funded research and promotion boards. They empower farmers and ranchers to leverage their own resources to develop new markets, strengthen existing markets, and conduct important research and promotion activities. The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s AMS provides oversight, paid for by industry assessments.
Source: USDA AMS