EL CAJON, Calif. (May 12, 2015) — While the drought in the western U.S. has made water and resource use efficiency top-of-mind, The Toro Company continues to serve as an advocate and leader for responsible crop irrigation. Below are nine ways Toro advocates for improved water and resource use efficiency in the agriculture sector.
- Drip Irrigation Products: For decades, Toro's Blue Strip® hose and Aqua-Traxx® drip tape have been the drip irrigation products most trusted by farmers and nurserymen. Blue Stripe and Aqua-Traxx, along with the more recent BlueLine® PC heavy-walled dripline and Aqua-Traxx FC (Flow Control) premium drip tape, greatly improve water use efficiency by evenly applying water slowly and directly to the targeted plant's root zone. As a result, crop yields, quality and resource use efficiency are improved, environmental degradation is avoided and water waste is minimized.
- Driptips.toro.com: DripTips is a great resource for those interested in learning more about drip irrigation. It features a popular blog with timely news from the world of drip irrigation and a periodic newsletter for subscribers. Visitors will also find an extensive offering of educational resources, including: case studies, literature downloads and links for further reading.
- Owner's Manual: Toro's award-winning, 113-page, four-color Drip Irrigation Owner's Manual educates row, field and permanent crop farmers about the proper layout, installation, operation and maintenance of drip irrigation systems. It is now available online and in hard copy; in metric and standard English units; and in English, Spanish, Italian and Chinese languages.
- Solutions Brochures: Toro's growing suite of case studies communicates the benefits of drip irrigation on row, field and permanent crops. Case studies specifically focus on yield and quality enhancement, resource use/cost reduction, reduced risk and improved environmental conditions as reported by growers. Additionally, Toro's expansive collection of special-topic discussions includes: "Typical Drip System Layout" (including an animated video), "Subsurface Drip Irrigation," "The Advantages of Closely Spaced Emitters" and "Micro-Sprinklers for Integrated Pest Management."
- AquaFlow Design Software: Registered users may easily view the predicted emission uniformity of a proposed drip irrigation system design by selecting from a wide variety of laterals, submains, mainlines and flushing parameters. A color-coded uniformity map illustrates percent-flow deviation from average, so users can readily identify the best design for optimal water and resource use efficiency. The uniformity map is available to view online and as a downloadable pdf.
- Drip/Micro Irrigation Payback Wizard: After entering only five pieces of information (state, crop, acres, water cost and existing irrigation method), users immediately view various predicted cost-savings and revenue enhancement benefits associated with the conversion from flood or sprinkler irrigation to high-efficiency drip irrigation technology.
- Webinars: Toro Micro-Irrigation is a founding member, supporter and presenter of the Grange Network, a group of agricultural professionals seeking to educate the agricultural community on best practices and technology adoption. Visitors can view live or recorded versions of Toro's popular webinars, such as "Making Drip Pay," "Subsurface Drip Irrigation for Field Crops," "How Irrigation Uniformity Affects Plant Health" and a wrap-up of the 2014 CII Conference.
- Advocacy: Toro Micro-Irrigation is a leader and/or active member of many organizations supporting efficient irrigation, including the California Ag Irrigation Association, the California Irrigation Institute, the Irrigation Association, the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers and the American Society of Agronomy, among others.
- Published Papers and Articles: Toro regularly presents at industry events and publishes articles in industry-specific publications to promote a better understanding and use of drip irrigation technology among farmers, dealers, allied industry, government and academia.
About The Toro Company The Toro Company (NYSE: TTC) is a leading worldwide provider of innovative solutions for the outdoor environment including turf, snow and ground engaging equipment, and irrigation and outdoor lighting solutions. With sales of $2.2 billion in fiscal 2014, Toro's global presence extends to more than 90 countries. Through constant innovation and caring relationships built on trust and integrity, Toro and its family of brands have built a legacy of excellence by helping customers care for golf courses, landscapes, sports fields, public green spaces, commercial and residential properties and agricultural fields. For more information, visit www.toro.com.