The Wisconsin Cattlemen's Association and the Wisconsin Cattlewomen's Association proudly announce their annual Winter Conference, Feb. 11-12 at the Wintergreen Resort & Conference Center in Wisconsin Dells. This year the groups welcome co-sponsors, the Wisconsin Angus Association, Wisconsin Hereford Association, and Wisconsin Shorthorn Association's as they hold their annual winter meetings at the Winter Conference.
This conference will be the first year combining winter meetings for these four beef industry organizations. The joining of the meetings will provide a great opportunity for Wisconsin beef producers to gather and interact for a weekend.
This year's conference will feature a full day of educational sessions and meetings presented by the Wisconsin Cattlemen's Association on Friday, February 11th. Saturday, Feb. will include the Wisconsin Cattlemen's, Wisconsin Angus, Wisconsin Hereford, and Wisconsin Shorthorn Associations' annual meetings as well as a free educational youth session.
This year's educational programs will cover a variety of interests. Speakers will cover topics including areas such as nutrition, marketing, genetics, cattle handling, and legislative matters. Topics and features of the conference include:
• Dr. Matt Spangler, University of Nebraska Extension Beef Specialist, presenting on the genetic influences on feed efficiency in beef cattle.
• An industry panel comprised of representatives from ABS Global, American Angus Association, American Hereford Association, and Equity Cooperative Livestock Sales Association will discuss and answer questions about programs for beef producers to add value to feeder and market cattle.
• Steve Fogelsong, Past President of the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, discussing current issues in today's US beef industry.
• Dr. David Kammel, UW Agricultural Building Design Professor, presenting ways beef producers can improve their cattle handling facilities.
• Dr. Ben Bartlett, Michigan State Dairy and Livestock Extension Educator, discussing the increased profit and pleasure from low stress cattle handling.
• The Legislative Update will be conducted by Terry Quam, the Wisconsin Cattlemen's Association's Legislative Committee Chairperson. Discussions will include how personnel changes in the Wisconsin legislature and other current topics will be affecting Wisconsin's cattlemen in 2011.
• Bernie O'Rourke, UW Youth Livestock Extension Specialist, and Dr. Cathy Bandyk QLF Cow/Calf & Stocker Cattle Nutritionist, will present "SPEAK OUT for the Beef Industry." This interactive workshop will give youth the tools to share the story of agriculture; including how to talk to fairgoers, friends and other non-agriculture consumers.
• Robert Fourdraine, WLIC Executive Director, discussing practical experiences using electronic ID tags at county and state fairs.
During the banquet on Friday night, the Wisconsin Cattlemen's Association will be presenting the Communicator of the Year, Cattleman of the Year, and the Friend of the Cattlemen Awards. Lance S. Fox, DVM of Alpharma Animal Health will conclude the evening with a talk entitled: "If You Can Believe You Can Achieve" by sharing his experience of climbing of Mt. Everest.
It is not necessary to be a member of the Wisconsin Cattlemen's, Wisconsin Cattlewomen's, Wisconsin Angus, Wisconsin Hereford, or Wisconsin Shorthorn organizations to attend the Winter Conference. The advanced registratision fee for Friday's educational program is $40/person or $60/couple. Advanced registration will be due by Jan. 31 with registration available up to the day of the program for $50/person or $70/couple. Active Wisconsin Cattlemen and Cattlewomen's members will receive a $10 discount on all Friday program registration fees. Saturday's meetings will have no cost except for meals.
For information or registration materials, please contact Martha Olson at 608-228-1457, firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit the WCA website at www.wisconsincattlemen.com where conference information and a brochure with registration information are available for downloading. On-site registration will also be available.
Lodging is available at the Conference location – the Wintergreen Resort & Conference Center in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin. A block of rooms will be held at a discounted rate of $69.95 + tax per night for Thursday and Friday and $79.95 + tax per night for Saturday. Please reserve a room by calling 800-243-9874. Be sure to mention the Wisconsin Cattlemen's Association Winter Conference when calling in order to secure your room at the Conference rate.