A total of 288 youth participated in the 2013 World Dairy Expo Youth Showmanship Contest Oct. 3. This event featured three age brackets for youth to measure their cattle exhibiting skills. Junior showmen range in age from 9 years to 12 years, intermediate competitors are 13 to 15 years old and the senior showmanship division is open to 16 to 21 year old individuals. First through tenth place in each division receive neck ribbons and medallions and cash awards. The first place junior division winner was awarded the W. Terry Howard Award, the intermediate winner received the Howard Voegeli Award and the first place senior showman was presented with the Keith King Award.
Serving as judges for this year's competition were Jenny Thomas, Junior Division; Carl Phoenix, Intermediate Division; Murray Reissner, Senior Division.
The Top 10 in each division are as follows:
1. Cole Booth, Plymouth
2. Ava Booth, Plymouth
3. Alek Krueger, Wrightstown
4. Rick Heslinga, Duvall, Wash.
5. Ashley Hawvermale, Wooster, Ohio
6. Kylie Nichols, Watertown
7. Clarissa Ulness, Valders
8. Brett Walker, Wisconsin Dells
9. Morgan O'Connell, Winneonne.
10. Brianna Crull, Monroe
1. Madison Dyment, Burgess, Ontario
2. Megan Nelson, Ettrick
3. Connor Erbsen, Lanark, Ill.
4. Olivia Brandenburg, Fort Atkinson
5. Emma Olstad, Stoughton
6. Roseanne Crave, Waterloo
7. Lindsey Sarbacker, Edgerton
8. Grant Fremstad, Lone Rock
9. Chelsea Young, Tinmouth, Vt.
10. Vanessa Roberts, Whitelaw
1. Vanessa Crowley, Peterborough, Ontario
2. Shelby Biasini, Morrisville, Vt.
3. Adrian Franken, Teeswater, Ontario, Canada
4. Andrea Pagenkopf, Lancaster
5. Lee Morey, Rochester, Alberta
6. Makenzie Nickels, Beloit
7. Taylor Leach, Linwood, Kan.
8. Elizabeth Sarbacker, Verona
9. Julianne Holler, Sharpsville, Pa.
10. Tiffany Roberts, Whitelaw
Source: World Dairy Expo