is part of the Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Serving: East

Will USDA Open CRP for Feed?

As we went to press, U.S. Ag Secretary Mike Johanns had already opened the gate for livestock producers to graze or harvest Conservation Reserve Program acreage in drought devastated states - Alabama, Indiana, Mississippi, Montana, Ohio, Oregon and Tennessee.

Emergency grazing and haying is likely to be expanded again as updates confirm the widening drought effects. "We are closely monitoring the drought and providing assistance when we can," says Johanns.

CRP is a voluntary program that offers annual rental payments and cost-share assistance to establish long-term resource-conserving cover on eligible land. The expansion permits approved CRP participants to cut hay or graze livestock on CRP acreage, providing supplemental forage to producers whose pastures have been negatively affected by drought.

To be approved for emergency haying or grazing, a county must be listed as a level "D3 Drought - Extreme" or greater according to the U.S. Drought Monitor,, or have suffered at least a 40 percent loss of normal moisture and forage for the preceding four-month qualifying period. USDA Farm Service Agency state committees may authorize emergency haying or grazing of CRP land in counties currently listed as level D3 drought CRP participants who want to apply for emergency haying and grazing to their local FSA office must wait until after the nesting season for certain birds.

Only livestock operations located within approved counties are eligible for emergency haying or grazing of CRP acreage. CRP participants who do not own or lease livestock may rent or lease the grazing privilege to an eligible livestock farmer located in an approved county. Producers with CRP acreage that is hayed or grazed will be assessed a 10 percent reduction in their annual rental payment.

Maps relating to this announcement and more information on emergency haying and grazing are available at local FSA offices and online at:

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.