is part of the Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

  • American Agriculturist
  • Beef Producer
  • Corn and Soybean Digest
  • Dakota Farmer
  • Delta Farm Press
  • Farm Futures
  • Farm Industry news
  • Indiana Prairie Farmer
  • Kansas Farmer
  • Michigan Farmer
  • Missouri Ruralist
  • Nebraska Farmer
  • Ohio Farmer
  • Prairie Farmer
  • Southeast Farm Press
  • Southwest Farm Press
  • The Farmer
  • Wallaces Farmer
  • Western Farm Press
  • Western Farmer Stockman
  • Wisconsin Agriculturist
Want a Windbreak? There May Be Help With That

Want a Windbreak? There May Be Help With That

Kansas Forest Service program has money to help rural landowners reduce energy consumption.

Rural landowners may be able to qualify for help getting the money to plant windbreaks around heated buildings that are part of their farmstead of headquarters offices through the Kansas Forest Service.

Funding is available through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program through a special provision that provides help with projects that reduce energy consumption.

The application periods for fiscal year 2012 funds end March 30 and June 1.  The program is administered by USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service.

Want a windbreak? There May Be Help With That

To apply, landowners must schedule an appointment with the NRCS office at their local USDA Service Center.  To qualify, applicants also must prepare a tree planting plan and must document the energy savings their farmstead/headquarters will realize from the proposed windbreak or shelterbelt.  A KFS district forester can be scheduled to help develop the plan.  

"That's where one of our district foresters can help," said Bob Atchison, KFS rural forestry coordinator.  "Our foresters are willing to visit a farmstead, talk to the owners about the windbreak, and then prepare a design that should optimize the long-term energy savings."

Research and experience show many details can affect a windbreak's usefulness—shape, distance from buildings, plant selections, moisture supply—according to Atchison.

The On-Farm Energy Initiative provides financial assistance to cover the majority of cost to purchase and plant trees and shrub seedlings.  Payment rates may vary from $1.49 per bare-root seedling to $2.57 per container-grown seedling and up to $5.57 for balled seedlings greater than 18 inches. The initiative does not cover other costs typically associated with establishing windbreaks such as weed or grass control.

In Kansas, socially disadvantaged, limited resource, and beginning farmers and ranchers will receive a higher payment rate for conservation practices related to the On-Farm Energy Initiative.

"If an interested landowner happens to miss the 2012 deadlines, that is okay," Atchison said.  "NRCS accepts the On-Farm Energy Initiative applications year-round.  If NRCS receives an application after this year's On-Farm Energy Initiative cut-off dates, it will simply be available for next year's funds."

Local NRCS contact information is available by accessing the Web at or or by calling the Kansas NRCS State Office at 785-823-4500.  Contact information for Kansas' district foresters is available at the KFS State Office at 785-532-3300 or

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.