Farm Progress is part of the divisionName Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Serving: NE

View UNL Programs on WebVideo

Topics range from farm bill to beef short course.

From diabetes to issues of the 2007 Farm Bill, WebVideo is a one-stop resource for University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension archived programs and conferences.

WebVideo at provides numerous archived meetings that have been recorded and made available for viewing as streaming video using the free video player, RealPlayer.

One of the newest additions to the video archives is the program Control Diabetes for Life. Participants learn the basics of diabetes, weight loss and management, and a heart healthy diet in this program series.

"Forty percent of all medical costs are for the care of people diagnosed with diabetes," says Deb Schroeder, UNL Extension educator in Cuming County. "Medicine--oral and injections--is only 20% of the total management costs for patients with diabetes. The other 80% of a successful self management plan includes education, exercise, and meal/food intake.

"People in rural Nebraska have limited availability to diabetes education, and this is an opportunity for them to participate in the security of their own home."

Other UNL Extension programs and conferences archived for viewing include the Beef Satellite Short Course, Ag at the Crossroads, Range Beef Cow Symposium and the Equestrian Academy, just to name a few. Topics cover crop marketing, insurance decisions, water management, rural entrepreneurship, beef production and more.

"These programs that are available on the Web have been extremely valuable in getting complete and comprehensive information on a particular subject to a producer," according to Ivan Rush, beef specialist at UNL's Panhandle Research and Extension Center at Scottsbluff.

The programs are valuable if a subject comes up at the Range Beef Cow Symposium, such as the Sandhills Calving System.

"This makes it easy to direct them to the complete coverage of the subject that was presented at the meeting plus they can view it at their leisure in their easy chair," he says.

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.