The University of Wisconsin-Extension Livestock Team will conduct Cattle Feeders Workshops at five locations around the state Jan. 23-25.
Workshop topics include impacts of rising grain prices and increased availability of grain processing co-products.
Dr. Brenda Boetel, UW-Extension livestock marketing specialist, leads off this year's program by providing an outlook on livestock and grain prices, and how to determine what high corn prices will do to your cost of production.
Results from the recently released 2005 Beef Quality Audit will show where all segments of the industry have made progress and where we can work improve to the quality of beef to meet consumer expectations will be presented by the host agents.
Evaluating your operation's risk to disease exposure, and biosecurity practices for beef producers will be presented by Bill Halfman, UW Extension Agent.
Wrapping up the program will be Dr. Jeff Lehmkuhler, UW Extension beef specialist, with information on how to best use distillers grains and other grain processing co-products in beef cattle rations and how these products can help reduce feed costs.
All locations will have a meal; pre-registration is strongly encouraged to help with meal and handout counts. For more information, or to pre-register for the programs, contact the host UW-Extension Offices. Workshop dates and locations are:
* Tuesday, Jan. 23 at the 4-H Building on the Rock County Fairgrounds in Janesville. Registration at 9:30 a.m. and the program at 10 a.m. Contact the Rock County Extension office at (608) 757-5696
* Tuesday, Jan. 23 at UW-Fond du Lac. Registration and meat starting at 5:30 p.m. and presentations at 6:15 p.m. Contact the Fond du Lac County Extension office at (920) 929-3170.
* Wednesday, Jan. 24 at The Plaza Restaurant in Seymour. Registration and meal at 6:30 p.m. and presentations at 7 p.m. Contact the Outagamie County Extension office at (920) 832-5119.
* Thursday, Jan. 25, at Club 16 Restaurant in Sparta. Registration at 9:30 a.m. and the program at 10 a.m. Contact the Monroe County Extension Office at (608) 269-8722
* Thursday, Jan. 25 at the Red Barn at the junctions of Hwy. 63 and 29 near Spring Valley. Registration and meal at 5:30 p.m. and program at 6:15 p.m. Contact the St. Croix County Extension office at (715) 684-3301 ext 5.
For more information on the program contact Dr. Jeff Lehmkuhler at (608) 263-7761 or Bill Halfman at (608) 269-8722.