is part of the Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

  • American Agriculturist
  • Beef Producer
  • Corn and Soybean Digest
  • Dakota Farmer
  • Delta Farm Press
  • Farm Futures
  • Farm Industry news
  • Indiana Prairie Farmer
  • Kansas Farmer
  • Michigan Farmer
  • Missouri Ruralist
  • Nebraska Farmer
  • Ohio Farmer
  • Prairie Farmer
  • Southeast Farm Press
  • Southwest Farm Press
  • The Farmer
  • Wallaces Farmer
  • Western Farm Press
  • Western Farmer Stockman
  • Wisconsin Agriculturist
USDA Programs May Offer Flood Assistance

USDA Programs May Offer Flood Assistance

Resources are available for crop and livestock producers.

"FSA administers several important programs that help producers recover from disaster damage and livestock deaths," says Steinkruger. In addition to Conservation Reserve Program land being opened up in some cases for maintaining livestock away from flood waters, here is a list of a few other potential FSA resources. You can also learn more at

1)     Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments Program --Although payments through this crop loss program are made a year after the event, Steinkruger says that it is a "catch all" program that provides great opportunity to help producers in flooded areas.

2)     Emergency Conservation Program --This cost-share program can be used to restore farmland severely damaged by water erosion from the flood.

3)     Livestock Indemnity Program --While Steinkruger does not expect great livestock death, this program is available to livestock producers who have incurred death losses due to flooding and other adverse weather events.

4)     Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program --The program provides compensation for grazing losses and loss of feedstuffs, including costs incurred for maintaining livestock through the flooding like transportation costs, removal of feed to higher ground and equipment rental.

5)     Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program --The program covers disaster losses to crops that are not insured through regular crop insurance, like alfalfa and hay crops, specialty crops, those grown for food and fiber, or seed crops and ornamentals.

6)     Emergency Farm Loans --These loans are set up to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to disaster, and they can be used to replace or restore essential property, pay production costs or essential family living expenses, reorganize a farming operation or refinance certain debt.

7)     Emergency Watershed Protection Program (administered through NRCS)--U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Vilsack announced that $3 million has been allocated to carry out emergency restoration projects in five western states experiencing flooding, to help groups of people suffering from damage to culverts, bridges, eroded banks, drainage facilities and debris.

Steinkruger says farmers should keep in mind that they need to have crop insurance and/or NAP coverage to be eligible for SURE and ELAP, and EM and SURE require a disaster declaration from the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture

TAGS: Livestock
Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.