Wisconsin State Fair officials have announced the locations and dates for the 2008 swine identification sites. All junior and open show market hog exhibitors wishing to exhibit barrows during the 2008 Wisconsin State Fair, July 31 to Aug. 10 are required to attend one of the regionally located identification sites. DNA identification will be conducted at these sites and will cost $10 per animal. The current identification system allows officials to maintain consistent procedures thereby strengthening the integrity of the show, the animals that go to market, and the champions that sell in the Governor's Blue Ribbon Livestock Auction.
Swine ID guidelines
- All junior and open Exhibitors interested in exhibiting market swine during the Wisconsin State Fair MUST identify their barrows at one of the identification sites listed below. Exhibitors may identify as many barrows as they chose.
- There are no minimum or maximum weight requirements for identification.
- Exhibitors entering in the performance barrow class must weigh their barrows at one of these sites. Barrows must weigh 60 pounds or less. The performance barrow class will be evaluated on a combination of lean gain and live placing.
- All swine must be castrated. No boars will be identified.
- All swine identified will receive an official WSF ear tag, must have readable ear notches, provide a DNA hair sample and complete a pre-registration form at one of the locations.
- Barrows need to be identified in the exhibitor's name or immediate family member's name only.
- Each exhibitor showing in the junior show will only be allowed to bring two of the identified market barrows to the junior market barrow show at the Wisconsin State Fair.
The exhibitor and or their parent/legal guardian must be in attendance to sign and verify.
- Saturday, April 19, 9 a.m. until noon
Stoughton Fairgrounds - Stoughton
Contact person: Richard Bussian – 920.623.2348
Grant County Fairgrounds - Lancaster
Contact person: Alicia Prill-Adams – 608.348.6982
Sheboygan County Fairgrounds - Plymouth
Contact person: Don Mier – 920.893.6911 Ext. 1552
Rock County Fairgrounds - Janesville
Contact person: Tom Knauer – 608.883.2838
LaCrosse County Fairgrounds - West Salem
Contact person: Steve Nuttleman – 608.486.4573
Dodge County Fairgrounds - Beaver Dam
Contact person: Dave Graff – 920.696.3851
Racine County Fairgrounds - Union Grove
Contact person: Eric Benhart – 262.903.6202
Kuehne Livestock Sales Barn - Seymour
Contact person: Tom Henn – 715.758.8372
Polk County Fairgrounds – St. Croix Falls
Contact person: Ryan Sterry – 715.485.8600
- Saturday, April 26, 9 a.m. to noon
Arlington Agriculture Research Station – Arlington
Contact person: Dan Goehring – 920.927.3432
Junior exhibitors interested in participating in the Wisconsin State Fair must contact their local UW Extension office for entry deadlines and information. Entry information will be available online in May at www.wistatefair.com. There will be no printed copies of the rules and regulations for the 2008 Fair. For further information contact Wisconsin State Fair Park at 414-266-705.