is part of the Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

  • American Agriculturist
  • Beef Producer
  • Corn and Soybean Digest
  • Dakota Farmer
  • Delta Farm Press
  • Farm Futures
  • Farm Industry news
  • Indiana Prairie Farmer
  • Kansas Farmer
  • Michigan Farmer
  • Missouri Ruralist
  • Nebraska Farmer
  • Ohio Farmer
  • Prairie Farmer
  • Southeast Farm Press
  • Southwest Farm Press
  • The Farmer
  • Wallaces Farmer
  • Western Farm Press
  • Western Farmer Stockman
  • Wisconsin Agriculturist
Sign-Up Deadline For CAP Is Dec. 9, 2010

Sign-Up Deadline For CAP Is Dec. 9, 2010

Eligible soybean growers in 30 Iowa counties who had damage from from excess moisture in 2009 are eligible for additional payments via USDA's Crop Assistance Program. Sign up now if you haven't already.

FAQ: USDA has announced additional disaster payments for 2009 crop year soybeans from the Crop Assistance Program or CAP. Who is eligible? When is the sign-up deadline? What kind of proof do I need to bring to the FSA office if I think I qualify for this disaster payment?

Answer: Provided by Beth Grabau, public affairs and outreach specialist, at the USDA Farm Service Agency state office in Des Moines.

USDA announced October 26 additional disaster payments for the 2009 crop year via the Crop Assistance Program or CAP. In Iowa the disaster assistance is available to eligible producers of 2009 soybeans in 30 counties in the state.

John Whitaker, state executive director of USDA's Farm Service Agency in Iowa says the disaster assistance will be issued to Iowa producers of soybeans who suffered losses due to excessive moisture or related conditions in 2009. Sign up for this program is currently underway and continues until December 9, 2010.

If you think you are eligible, go to your county FSA office and sign-up. Producers will certify that they have had at least a 5% loss, no additional documentation will be needed until requested through spot-check procedure.

Producers of eligible crops on farms in disaster counties who certify to a 5% or greater crop loss will receive a predetermined soybean payment rate of $15.62 times the planted acres of the crop. Due to funding limits, farmers will initially receive 75% of this payment. Once the sign up is complete they may receive up to an additional 25%.

For growers of 2009 soybeans in 30 Iowa counties

To be eligible, land must be physically located in a USDA secretarial disaster designated county. "If a farm or a portion of a farm is physically located in one of these designated counties, producers need to apply at their local FSA offices," says Whitaker. "In some cases, we have portions of farms administered in non-declared counties, but a portion of the farm is physically located in a declared county. Producers in this situation, need to apply in the county were their farm is administered."

Iowa counties that received a Secretarial Disaster Declaration in 2009 include: Allamakee, Benton, Bremer, Butler, Calhoun, Clarke, Clay, Chickasaw, Clayton, Decatur, Delaware, Fayette, Grundy, Hamilton, Hardin, Howard, Ida, Iowa, Jackson, Jefferson, Keokuk, Lucas, Mahaska, Wayne, Winneshiek, Sac, Van Buren, Wapello, Webster, and Woodbury.

The general eligibility provisions, payment limits and adjusted gross income limits that apply to FSA programs apply to CAP. No person or legal entity (excluding a joint venture or general partnership), may receive directly or indirectly, more than $100,000 in CAP benefits.

Additionally, keep in mind that CAP payments will be treated as 2009 revenue under the Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments (SURE) Program.

Is CAP program a permanent part of the Farm Bill?

Farmers have asked whether CAP is a permanent part of the USDA farm program or is it just a one-time deal? Many have never heard of it before, or they get it mixed up with USDA's SURE program. CAP is a one-time program. This program is funded under Section 32 or the Agricultural Adjustment Act of August 24, 1935, which allows the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture to help re-establish the purchasing power of farmers, ranchers and producers impacted by disaster.

If you have specific questions or need details regarding USDA farm programs, contact your local USDA Farm Service Agency office. You can also get news and information about DCP, ACRE and other USDA programs at

Two Iowa State University Extension Web sites have farm program information and analysis. They are ISU's Ag Decision Maker site at and ISU Extension Specialist Steve Johnson's site at

And be sure to read the regular column "Frequently Asked Questions about the Farm Program" that appears in each issue of Wallaces Farmer magazine and at

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.