The North Dakota State University Extension Service and Ducks Unlimited are putting on a Webinar on planting cover crops and/or winter wheat on prevent plant acres.
The Webinar is starts a 9 a.m. on July 28.
Prevent Plant – Joel Ransom, NDSU Extension agronomist.
Water Use and Management
Cover Crop Options – characteristics and costs
When and how much to seed
FSA/RMA requirements and limitations
CC considerations if want to seed winter wheat this fall
Management of prior crop residues for winter wheat seeding
Why Growers Should Consider Winter Wheat – Steve Dvorak, Ducks Unlimited agronomist.
- Economics (yield)
- Spreading the workload, etc.
- Environmental benefits
- Prevent plant (wet spring and crop insurance eligibility)
Winter Wheat Establishment – Blake Vander Vorst, Ducks Unlimited agronomist.
- Prior crop (rotation) – early harvest, standing residue and harvesting, WSMV connection, canola a good rotational crop
- Break the green bridge
- No-till seed into standing stubble – depth – date – rate
- Seed treatment
- Starter fertilizer
- Varieties – cold tolerance, disease, straw strength and length, etc.
Nitrogen and Phosphate Fertility – Jason Hanson, Ducks Unlimited agronomist.
- Nitrogen rate and timing
- Nitrogen loss
- Protein management
- Phosphate importance – current Vision and Ducks Unlimited data
Winter Wheat Disease Management – Marcia McMullen, NDSU Extension plant pathologist.
- Winter Wheat less disease tolerance than spring wheat (Joel-Marcia data)
- Leaf and head diseases
- Fungicide application results and timing (w/herbicide-flag leaf-early flower)
How to join
To join the Wimba Conference please do the following:
- Microsoft Windows users, use Internet Explorer or Safari.
- Macintosh users, use Safari. Mozilla Firefox does work but issues can occur.
If you’ve never done a Wimba session, be sure to run the setup wizard at http://ndivnlc.wimba.com/ before the meeting to make sure it’s working on your end.
- After you’ve run the setup wizard, 10 or 15 minutes before the session is to begin, go to http://ndivnlc.wimba.com. Click on "Participant Login" Room ID: NDSU_Ag Name: your name and office – for example, “Joel Ransom, Extension”
- Once you are logged in, select "NDSU Crop Calls" and you will enter the “room” where the meeting is taking place.
- Feel free to resize any of the windows or move the video window around.
- Audio will be one way. You can hear the presenter, but to ask a question, type it in the chat box. It will then be shared with the presenter. That means you don’t need a headset or phone, just computer speakers.
- If you can’t make the live presentation, you can follow the Wimba directions above but then click on archive in the upper right corner. The archive will be available a couple hours after the live meeting takes place.
To learn more about participating in Wimba, go to http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/wimba. The most important links to get you stated are the "Participant - Getting started quick reference," the "Equipment Required" and the "Wimba Login." If you have questions about Wimba, contact Scott Swanson firstname.lastname@example.org or 231-7086. If you have difficulty connecting the day of the conference, please contact Joel Ransom at 701-730-0384.
Source: Ducks Unlimited/NDSU Extension