The U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance announced Thursday a line-up of panelists that will discuss key issues about food production at the organization's next Food Dialogues event, scheduled for Nov.15 at the TimesCenter in New York City.
"Following the momentum of past Food Dialogues' panel discussions in September 2011, March 2012 and June 2012, we realize that Americans still have a lot of important questions surrounding topics like biotechnology, animal antibiotics and how media and the marketing community talk about food and healthy choices," said Bob Stallman, chairman of USFRA and president of the American Farm Bureau Federation. "We're excited to bring a wide range of voices together for in-depth panel discussions about these issues and to answer some important questions that aren't getting heard. It's time we move the conversation forward."
The panel discussions, which will stream live at www.fooddialogues.com, will focus on three separate topics. USFRA has assembled a group of panelists who are experts in their respective fields with various points of view on the panel topics, including representatives from Consumers Union, the American Veterinary Medical Association, and farmers and ranchers from across the country.
The Media, Marketing and Healthy Choices panel will examine how the media's coverage of food and its health benefits has impacted consumer choice. This discussion also will address what more can be done to answer Americans' questions about how their food is grown and raised. Expert panelists include:
• Tracie McMillan, author, The American Way of Eating
• Debbie Beauvais, New York School Nutrition President and Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics spokesperson
• Blake Hurst, President, Missouri Farm Bureau
• Craig McNamara, California organic farmer
• Richard Ball, New York vegetable farmer
For the Your Toughest Questions Answered on Antibiotics in Your Food panel, experts will discuss antibiotics and its use and application in animal agriculture. USFRA has secured:
• Dr. Christine Hoang, DVM, MPH, CPH, Assistant Director of the Division of Scientific Activities of the American Veterinary Medical Association
• Jean Halloran, Director of Food Policy Initiatives, Consumers Union
• Keith Ayoob, pediatric nutritionist, Alert Einstein School of Medicine
• Dr. Karen Jordan, Brush Creek Swiss Farms, North Carolina – dairy farmer and veterinarian
Your Toughest Questions Answered on Biotechnology (GMOs) in Your Food panel will include experts who are well-versed in the use of biotech seeds, including the benefits and concerns related to long-term health and food labeling including:
• Pamm Larry, the leader of California's Prop 37, "GMO labeling" initiative
• Dr. Bob Goldberg, plant molecular biologist currently using genomics to identify all of the genes required to "make a seed", UCLA
• Jerry Slocum, Mississippi soybean farmer
• Dr. Julie Howard, Chief Scientist, Food Security, USAID
In addition to the panel discussions, USFRA has plans to announce farmers and ranchers who are semi-finalists for its Faces of Farming and Ranching program.
To attend an event in-person, click here or call 888-258-7372 for more information.
For information about USFRA and to see footage from past Food Dialogues events, visit www.fooddialogues.com.