Farm Progress is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Serving: West

New Rule Requires Reporting To EPA

TAGS: Regulatory
New Rule Requires Reporting To EPA
Disclosure of CAFO permit information was part of a settlement EPA reached with the Natural Resources Defense Council, Waterkeeper Alliance and the Sierra Club.

The Environmental Protection Agency is taking comment on a new proposed reporting rule for confined animal feeding operations.

According to Kent Woodmansey, from the South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources, the new rule would require you to provide the following information:

  1. facility contact information
  2. production area location
  3. whether the CAFO has a NPDES or Surface Water Discharge permit
  4. the number and type of animals at the CAFO
  5. the number of acres available for land application of manure, litter, and process wastewater.

The rule is part of settlement with the Natural Resources Defense Council, Waterkeeper Alliance and the Sierra Club.

You would submit information through an online form.

The proposal contains two options regarding which CAFOs would be required to submit information to the EPA:

One option would require every CAFO in the United States to report this information to EPA, unless states provide this information on behalf of the CAFOs in their state.

The second option would require CAFOs in "focus watersheds" that have water quality concerns associated with CAFOs to report information to EPA.

EPA will take comment on both options as well as alternative approaches to gather information.

The comment period closes Dec. 20 and EPA plans to take final action on this proposal by July 2012.

How to Comment

You can provide comments online or via email, fax, mail or courier.

Specific instructions are available on the EPA website.

South Dakota Pork Producers can also contact South Dakota Pork Producers Council at 605-332-1600 to discuss the state organization's response.

If you have any questions, contact Erin Cortus, air quality and waste management specialist, at 605-688-5144. 

Source: SDSU

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.