is part of the Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

  • American Agriculturist
  • Beef Producer
  • Corn and Soybean Digest
  • Dakota Farmer
  • Delta Farm Press
  • Farm Futures
  • Farm Industry news
  • Indiana Prairie Farmer
  • Kansas Farmer
  • Michigan Farmer
  • Missouri Ruralist
  • Nebraska Farmer
  • Ohio Farmer
  • Prairie Farmer
  • Southeast Farm Press
  • Southwest Farm Press
  • The Farmer
  • Wallaces Farmer
  • Western Farm Press
  • Western Farmer Stockman
  • Wisconsin Agriculturist
Import Permits Required For Cattle, Bison

Import Permits Required For Cattle, Bison

Extra precaution will be taken to keep TB out of state.

In a continued effort to enhance Minnesota's animal disease traceability system, the Minnesota Board of Animal Health will require import permits for breeding cattle and bison entering the state starting on August 1.

"The state has worked hard to eliminate bovine Tuberculosis over the past five years," said Bill Hartmann, Minnesota State veterinarian and executive director of the Minnesota Board of Animal Health. "It's our job at the Board to safeguard animal health and this will greatly assist us in our efforts to trace cattle in a disease investigation quickly."

Information that will be collected and required in order to obtain a free import permit include:

-Name, address and telephone number for the veterinarian issuing the Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI);

-The CVI number;

-Name, address and telephone number for the origin of the cattle; and

-Name, address and telephone number for the destination of the cattle (destination refers to the physical location the cattle will be residing at and not a business or home address).

The Board will also require information on the type of official identification that has been used on the cattle. For a complete list of approved official identification, visit the Board's Official Animal ID for Cattle and Bison.

Breeding cattle includes all sexually intact cattle except beef heifers under 24 months imported for feeding purposes. All intact dairy heifers will require a permit, regardless of age. A permit will not be required for bulls less than 10 months imported for feeding purposes.

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.