Farm Progress is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Serving: IA
Hog Inventory Falls 1%

Hog Inventory Falls 1%

Quarterly report sees a slide in year-over-year numbers.

The latest inventory of hogs in the United States shows a 1% decline. The quarterly Hogs & Pigs report, released Monday by USDA, shows that the total inventory for all hogs and pigs as of Dec. 1 is 64.3 million head, which is down 1% from Dec. 2009 and 2% from Sept. 1, 2010.

Breeding inventory, at 5.78 million head, is also down 1% according to the report, but it is up slightly from the previous quarter. Market hog inventory is at 58.5 million head, also down 1% from last year, and down 2% from last quarter.

The September-November 2010 pig crop, at 28.2 million head, is down slightly from 2009. Sows farrowing during this period totaled 2.85 million head, down 2% from 2009.

According to the report, U.S. hog producers intent to have 2.86 million sows farrow during the December 2010-February 2011 quarter, also down 1% from the actual farrowings during the December 2009-February 2010 quarter.

The total number of hogs under contract owned by operations with over 5,000 head, but raised by contractees, accounted for 45% of the total United States hog inventory, up from 44% last year.

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.