Farm Progress is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Serving: KS

Flood Recovery Information Available from K-State

A variety of sources can help those in need.

Flood-stricken Kansans cleaning up after rain pounded portions of Kansas can turn to Kansas State University Research and Extension for flood recovery information.

K-State Research and Extension, which has an office in every Kansas county, has Extension agents familiar with the county who can help answer questions and track down information. In addition, the offices have fact sheets and publications full of science-based information on such topics as cleaning households, food safety, private well and public water safety, and horticultural issues associated with floods. Extension office location and phone number can be found in the local phone book white pages under county office or on local county Web sites.

In addition, many disaster response resources are available on the K-State Research and Extension Web site at Click on "Disaster Resources."

K-State is part of the Extension Disaster Education Network, a collaborative multi-state effort by Extension services across the nation to improve the delivery of services to citizens affected by disasters. Information from K-State and other universities on flooding and a wide array of other topics related to emergency preparedness and disaster recovery is available at . Look for "Issues" on the left side of the page and click on "More Issues."

Also available to Kansans who were hit by flooding or other disasters is the Kansas Rural Family Helpline. The helpline, a program of the School of Family Studies and Human Services in K-State's College of Human Ecology, provides free confidential assistance including short-term emotional support and referrals for agricultural producers and rural families with immediate needs.

Kansas Rural Family Helpline director, Charlie Griffin, says the service can link those seeking help to health providers, churches, financial and legal advisers, farm and family mediation services, family educators and agricultural production and agribusiness specialists. It also provides access to local, state and federal agencies that may be able to help rural families in the state.

The Kansas Rural Family Helpline is available, toll free, at 1-866-327-6578 or by e-mail to Further information about the Helpline is on the Web:

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.