Farm Progress is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Serving: IN

Fertilizer and Manure Rules Have Changed

Fertilizer and Manure Rules Have Changed
Participants in pesticide training classes get refresher course on new laws.

Chris Parker, Morgan County Extension ag educator, twice last week explained to two different groups new rules that now govern manure and fertilizer.

Both groups were captive audiences, there to get credit for their private pesticide applicator's license renewal. The license is needed to purchase restricted-use pesticides. You can keep your license current by attending three meetings in five years approved for that purpose, but no more than two in one year.

One fertilizer rule went into effect over a year ago. The second took effect Feb. 15 of this year.

Two new rules: Chris Parker boils two new fertilizer rules, one effective a year ago and one just this past month, down to the essentials. Get a license if you apply or handle manure or fertilizer for hire, and have a plan no matter what size of operation you have.

"Category 14 that went into effect last year requires anyone handling commercial fertilizer for hire or hauling manure or applying manure from a confined animal feeding unit to have a license," Parker explains. "It comes from the Office of the Indiana State Chemist, and appears similar to a private pesticide applicator's license."

Much of the impetus for both rules came to clear up problems with people brining in manure from out of state, particularly Ohio, and stockpiling it on their own land or the land of other farmers who wanted the manure. Sometimes it would not be spread for months.

Under the law, you don't need a license, Parker says. But it applies to almost anyone with any kind of farming operation. If you farm over a hundred acres or raise even a few beef cows, you likely fall under the laws.

Instead of a license, you're expected to have a written plan for how you apply fertilizer and manure. The plan can be as simple as recommendations based on soil tests, and a record of what you applied where and when.

"You're going to need this when a complaint is filed" he says. "We get lots of calls from the public in our offices wondering if what farmers are doing is legal. If we can't explain it or answer their questions, we are required to send them to the Office of the Indiana State Chemist. They are required by law to investigate complaints. That's when you are really going to need the plan to be able to justify what you have done in the past."

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.