UW-Extension specialists in weed science, plant pathology and entomology will present the latest information on pest management and biology for Wisconsin field crops at the annual Pest Management Update Meetings in eight Wisconsin locations in November.
Topics include weed and insect management and disease control for Wisconsin field crops. The specialists will provide updates on herbicide and fungicide labels, weed management options, results of corn and winter wheat fungicide treatments, soybean aphid, Western bean cutworm, and many other topics.
Speakers at the meetings include Chris Boerboom and Mark Renz, UW-Madison/Extension weed scientists; Eileen Cullen or Bryan Jensen, UW-Madison/Extension field crop entomologists; and Paul Esker, UW-Madison/Extension field crop plant pathologist. The meetings count towards four hours of pest management continuing education credits for certified crop advisors.
All sessions start at 10 a.m. and conclude at 3 p.m. Registration and coffee begins at 9:30 a.m. for all sessions. The registration fee is $30. This fee covers the cost of the information packet and the noon meal. The information packet will contain the 2009 Pest Management in Wisconsin Field Crops bulletin, with weed, insect and disease control recommendations for corn, soybean, small grains and forages, as well as other pest management reference materials. Additional copies of the information packet will be available for purchase at $15 each.
Organizers request participants to pre-register with the host agent at least one week before the meeting they wish to attend.
The schedule for the Wisconsin Pest Management Update meetings is:
* Nov. 10, Platteville, contact Ted Bay, 608-723-2125
* Nov. 11, Sparta, contact Bill Halfman, 608-269-8722
* Nov. 12, Chippewa Falls, contact Jerry Clark, 715-726-7950
* Nov. 13, Marshfield, contact Matt Lippert, 715-421-8440
* Nov. 14, Green Bay, contact Mark Hagedorn, 920-391-4612
* Nov. 17, Arlington, contact Randy Zogbaum, 608-742-9682
* Nov. 18, Fond du Lac, contact Mike Rankin, 920-929-3170
* Nov. 19, Janesville, contact Jim Stute, 608-757-5696