Farm Progress is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Serving: WI

Crops Under Water?

Contact your insurance agent now.

With farmland resembling lakes, widespread crop damage will be the norm rather than the exception.

According to Tom Thieding of Rural Mutual Insurance, farmers with flooded fields should contact their crop insurance agent right away if they have not done so already. "It's very unlikely that anything that is under water is going to survive," Thieding says. "You need to do that if you are going to do any kind of replanting as well." The agent will most likely come out, take some photos and file a notice of loss and get things set up for any type of claim payment producers may be eligible for. "It's all going to come down to the level of coverage you selected," he says.

Farmers also are encouraged to contact their Farm Service Agency (FSA) office because information provided will be used to help determine if any kind of federal aid will be available. Any damage to buildings should be reported to FSA as well.

The situation differs somewhat in areas where crops suffered hail damage prior to flooding. Farmers with crop hail insurance who suffered damage of this type should not waste any time in getting touch with their insurance agents either, Thieding says.

Waiting too long to report crop damage of any type could cause problems down the road, depending on the requirements of the insurance coverage.

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.