America's second annual Farm Mom of the Year contest, sponsored by Monsanto Company, is now down to the online voting. The five regional winners was selected by American Agri-Women officials from hundreds of entries.
The grand prize winner will be the one receiving the highest number of votes online between now and May 26. The national winner will be announced on or about May 27, 2011. Each regional winner receives a $5,000 cash prize, and the grand prize winner receives an extra $2,500.
The regional winners are . . .
• Midwest: April Hemmes runs her family's cow/calf beef herd and grain farm in Hampton, Iowa.
• Northeast: Jennie Schmidt and her family operate Schmidt Farms, a highly diversified third-generation family farm on Maryland's Eastern Shore.
• Northwest: Bette Lu Lerwick and husband run a combination cattle and dryland/irrigated family operation at Albin, Wyoming.
• Southeast: Teresa Chambers, along with husband Judd operate Chambers' Dairy in Macon, Georgia, and raise hay, sorghum and rye grass.
• Southwest Region: Kerri Vander Poel and husband operate a dairy farm at Bakersfield, California, where they also grow hay, corn, wheat and almonds.
Top farm mom picking criteria
A short essay about each regional winner is displayed at www.americasfarmers.com. Based on the essay, score each in four following categories:
• One-fourth: What makes her special to her family and what attributes are especially appreciated above and beyond the responsibilities that mothers typically perform;
• One-fourth: Essay's detail of how the entrant plays an important role in the success of the family farm;
• One-fourth: How the mom contributes to her community through involvement in agriculture organizations or support for other community activities.
• One-fourth: How the mom shares her passion for agriculture with others and helps educate consumers about agriculture.
Now, go to http://www.monsanto.com/americasfarmers/Pages/farm-mom-vote-form.aspx. And vote!