Wisconsin State Fair Officials and members of the Blue Ribbon Sale of Champions Foundation are pleased to announce that the 44th Annual Governor's Red, White and Blue Ribbon Livestock Auction at the 2012 Wisconsin State Fair was once again a success.
The theme of this year's auction was "Wisconsin Youth MVPs Feeding the World" and was hosted by Gov. Scott Walker.
The stars of the evening, the youth exhibitors and their Grand Champion or Reserve Champion animals, embraced the spotlight when the auction kicked off promptly at 6:30 p.m. in the Coliseum at Wisconsin State Fair Park. Bidding commenced with the Grand Champion Steer exhibited by Brock May, age 18, of Mineral Point. In the end, the Grand Champion Steer (Chianina), weighing 1,339 pounds, sold for $27,500 with the winning bid from Kenosha Beef International and Birchwood Foods.
In total, 26 Junior Market Steers, Barrows and Lambs were auctioned off as well as several VIP packages. The evening raised a total of $221,000 – almost $10,000 more than the 2011 total of $211,250.
Winning bids for the 2012 Governor's Red, White and Blue Ribbon Livestock Auction (program order):
* Grand Champion Steer (Chianina): exhibited by Brock May of Iowa County; Winning Bid of $27,500 by Kenosha Beef International and Birchwood Foods
* Grand Champion Barrow (Crossbred): exhibited by Austin Lynd of Rock County; Winning Bid of $13,000 by MillerCoors
* Grand Champion Lamb (Hampshire): exhibited by Tierney Reilly of Lafayette County; Winning Bid of $8,000 Saz's, Bunzel's Meat Market, Slim McGinn's, Country Fresh Meats, All City Auto Sales, UNITS Mobile Storage, Roland Machinery, Milwaukee Wave, Zimmerman Architectural Studios, Ironwood Golf Course, Trawicki Electric, Milwaukee Admirals, Zilber Group, Major Goolsby's, Gille's Frozen Custard and Leff's Lucky Town
* Reserve Grand Champion Steer (Crossbred): exhibited by Brock May of Iowa County; Winning Bid of $16,000 by Potawatomi Bingo Casino
* Reserve Grand Champion Barrow (Crossbred): exhibited by Steven Blume of Iowa County; Winning Bid of $9,000 by Beechwood Sales and Services
* Reserve Grand Champion Lamb (Natural Colored): exhibited by Malorie Johnson of Iowa County; Winning Bid of $8,000 by Beer Capitol Distributing
* Champion Maine-Anjou Steer exhibited by Hunter Dischler of Richland County; Winning Bid of $10,000 by Wisconsin Souvenir Milkcaps
* Champion Duroc Barrow exhibited by Maisie Langholff of Wood County; Winning Bid of $5,500 by Giant Slide, Inc., Crutchee-s Concessions, Sky Fair, Inc. G&G Concessions and Caribbean Smoothies.
* Champion Crossbred Lamb exhibited by Tierney Reilly of Lafayette County; Winning Bid of $2,000 by Cable Contract Services