Farm Progress is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Beef Producers Forced To Rethink Culling Priorities on High Prices

Beef Producers Forced To Rethink Culling Priorities on High Prices
Should that temperamental cow get a second chance? Should beef producers consider more intensive management for older cows?

Management decisions relating to culling stock cows have increased dramatically in complexity under current market conditions, says Jim Krantz, a South Dakota State University cow/calf specialist.

According to Krantz, low national cattle inventories indicate potential for continued profitability in the cow/calf sector for several years to come, but the figures may also alter many historic recommendations on culling cows.

Should that temperamental cow get a second chance? Should beef producers consider more intensive management for older cows?

When reviewing the factors that influence culling decisions, about 80% of cows are culled because they are open, age or teeth concerns, or simply unproductive, Krantz says. The remaining 20% leave the herd because they produced small calves, had dispositions problems, were injured, or had udder problems and, in some cases, eye concerns.

Related: CattleFax Analysts Say Higher Beef Prices Sell More Chicken

Often, conditions out beef producers' control, like drought or low prices, also dictate that they increase their culling rates beyond normal levels. But under generalized recommendations, open cows consistently rank first on that list, Krantz says.

"Ignoring that recommendation defies economics as that individual would need the profits from more than one of her subsequent calves to pay the feed bill for her non-contributing year," he says.

Culling priorities differ after the open status but those with liabilities such as teeth, eye or feet and leg concerns are the next best candidates. Some individuals recommend that late-calving and older cows move ahead of those with physical limitations.


Disposition ranks above both of the above-named categories for some, while that negative is less restrictive in other cases.

"It is important to remember that these criteria are framed with some consideration for the need to cull deeper due to atypical circumstances," Krantz points out.

In today's market, a closer look
In today's market environment, the rank-order may deserve some review and further consideration, Krantz suggests.

"It would seem that the lead-factor, open cows, remains unchanged. Even under current inventory levels and industry optimism, feed costs alone make it difficult to justify not culling an open $1200 cow. However, depending on how late the 'late-calver' is, you might want to give her another chance," he says.

Reproductive technologies such as CIDRS, along with nutritional adjustments, make it possible to move this category of cows more in line with the rest of the cow herd. There could also be an opportunity to market these cows to operations that have a later calving season, especially when bred cows are in high demand.

With the increasingly limited grazing acres available, those physically-challenged and older cows may be great candidates for partial or total drylot management programs, Krantz suggests.

"Those systems have the potential to extend the productive lifetime of cows that could still produce $1100 calves under more intense management that would otherwise be culling candidates in a grazing based system," he says.

Related: Many Causes for Skyrocketing Cattle Prices in 2014

Temperamental cows find no favor in just about all programs but Krantz questions if an exception should be made because of her potential economic value as mother cow.

"It would seem that this factor for consideration is strictly on an individual basis. The 'man-eater' needs to go regardless, while the cow that is a bit overprotective at the birth of her calf may be tolerable," he says.

Finally, Krantz reinforces that culling decisions are part of the reality of a cow/calf operation and account for about 15-20% of the income of that operation.

Traditionally, culling priorities have not changed much over the years. However, there may be little in the way of "traditional" in today's cattle industry.

"Unimaginable profit levels and the potential for them to continue, makes it essential for cattlemen to re-think their culling approach. Those decisions need to focus on economics rather than tradition," he says.

Source: SDSU

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.