What blog entries were the most popular among Beef Producer online readers in 2014? As it turns out, you wanted to know more about feeding supplements, controlling predators, using more trees in pastures, record beef prices and more.
Here, we count down the 10 most popular blog posts of the year.
10. Set Up For Cafeteria-Style Free-Choice Minerals. Free-choice mineral programs are the best but they need three things set right before starting.
9. Mob Grazing Isn't A Fad But A Management Tool. If mob grazing sounds cool to you, good advice says learn about the effects of all grazing methods before you try it.
8. Record Beef Prices Giving Me The Jitters. Beef Producer Editor Alan Newport says the profit potential in the beef market complex is welcome, but there's concern about producers who don't have risk protection.
7. We Need More Trees In Our Pastures. Trees bring fertility, temperature regulation, insect control and much more. Here are seven reasons why trees could bring benefits to your pasture.
6. Plastic Barrel Train Feeder Works Well For Supplements. You can create your own ATV-movable supplement feeder by splitting plastic barrels in half and bolting them together.
5. Beef Producers' Conundrum. Too often, we wholly apply the simple answers from ag research to solve the complex problems we face as beef producers. When it comes to managing a grazing program, we can be our own worst enemies.
4. Beef Consumption May Hit Record Declines This Year. Ongoing loss of beef consumption and replacement with lower-priced chicken in American diets is true demand loss.
3. Bulls Should Be Masculine And Cows Should Be Feminine. Over many years the beef industry has lost the vision of how bulls and cows should appear.
2. Better Guard Dogs May Help Livestock Against Big Predators. Blend creative grazing management, range riders and livestock guardian dogs to beat gadgets and predator scarecrows.
1. The 8 Biggest Roadblocks to Ranch Profitability. Step one is to open your mind to change and new ideas.