Seven Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations Annual Update Meetings are scheduled throughout Wisconsin in February. These meetings are intended for Wisconsin Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permitted CAFO owners, managers, consultants, nutrient management plan writers and key staff, and are presented by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and University of Wisconsin-Extension.
Meeting dates and locations are:
• Monday, Feb. 2: Jefferson at the Jefferson County UW-Extension office, 864 Collins Rd. Contact: LaVerne Georgson at 920-674-7294.
• Tuesday, Feb. 3: Green Bay at Tundra Lodge, 865 Lombardi Avenue. Contact: Joan Laehn at [email protected].
• Wednesday, Feb. 4: New London at Crystal Falls, 1500 Handschke Dr. Contact: Joan Laehn at [email protected].
• Friday, Feb. 6: Dodgeville at the Iowa County UW-Extension office, 303 Chapel St. Contact: Gene Schriefer at 608-930-9850.
• Tuesday, Feb. 10: Fond du Lac at UW Fond du Lac, 400 University Dr. Contact: Joan Laehn at [email protected].
• Wednesday, Feb. 11: Marshfield at Marshfield Ag Research Station, 2611 Yellowstone Dr. Contact: Richard Halopka at 715-743-5121.
•Thursday, Feb. 12: Rice Lake at WTC Barron County Conference Center, 1900 College Dr. Contact: Tim Jergenson at [email protected] .
The workshops will focus on improvements made to nutrient management plan implementation, improving communication between plan writers, permit holders and DNR, and updates on regulations that affect CAFOs.
• Public notice requirements for new land
• Permit-required reporting including annual reports and Nutrient Management Planning updates
• Update on new Implements of Husbandry regulations
• Engineering review requirements
•A panel discussion of the challenges of weather-related delays in fall and spring applications
• Winter spreading stacking requirements, pre-permit meetings and inspections
All meetings will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Continuing Education Unit credits for CCAs will be applied for. Please register at least one week prior to the meeting you plan to attend to receive a discounted registration rate of $30. Registrations after that deadline increase to $45.
Details and registration forms about each workshop can be found at http://go.wisc.edu/e00x60
For more information about the workshops contact the UW-Extension office in the workshop's host county or Kevin Erb at 920- 391-4652 or via email at [email protected].