The 2012 Minnesota Beef Cow/Calf Days will be held in the Southern region of the state Feb. 6 to 10 and in the Northern region of the state Feb. 14 to 17.
The dates and location of these events are:
Monday, Feb. 6, Mora, County Meeting Room, 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm; call to preregister, (320) 732-4435
Tuesday, Feb. 7, Glenwood, Minnewaska House, 9:30 am – 3:00 pm ; (218) 694-6151
Wed., Feb. 8, Pipestone, MN West Comm. & Tech. College, 9:30 am – 3:00 pm; (218) 463-0291
Thursday, Feb. 9, Rochester, America's Best Value Inn, 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm; (218) 327-4615
Friday, Feb. 10, New Prague, KC Hall, 9:30 am – 3:00 pm; (218) 327-5958
Tuesday, Feb. 14, Staples, Central Lakes College, 9:30 am – 3:00 pm; call to preregister, (320) 732-4435
Tuesday, Feb. 14, Bagley, American Legion, 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm; (218) 694-6151
Wed., Feb. 15, Lancaster, Old Community Center, 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm; (218) 463-0291
Thurs, Feb. 16, Warroad, Patch Restaurant, 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm; (218) 463-0291
Friday, Feb. 17, Grand Rapids, Itasca Community College, 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm; (218) 327-5958
Agenda topics include:
* You depend on your cows and your cows depend on forages; learn more about pasture and forage management and intensive grazing from NRCS specialists.
* Genes or jeans; what's the difference? Learn about the latest advancements in genetic profiling of cattle and how you can use it in your beef herd from Zac Hall.
* Please pass the Magnesium; learn more about vitamin and mineral requirements for beef cows and how these vital ingredients of a cows diet impacts productivity from Jenny Jennings.
* During the Northern tour, you can learn more about dealing with wolves and what to do if you have a wolf related issue from John Hart of the USDA Wildlife Services.
* On the Southern tour, Allen Bridges will discuss proper replacement heifer selection and development strategies.
Registration for the meeting, which includes a meal and a proceedings booklet or CD, is $20 per person. Please pre-register for the meeting at least 1 week in advance. If you have any further questions, please contact Allen Bridges (firstname.lastname@example.org; 218-327-4615) or check out the University of Minnesota Beef Team website at www.extension.umn.edu/beef.
- By Craig Roerick, University of Minnesota Extension