is part of the Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

  • American Agriculturist
  • Beef Producer
  • Corn and Soybean Digest
  • Dakota Farmer
  • Delta Farm Press
  • Farm Futures
  • Farm Industry news
  • Indiana Prairie Farmer
  • Kansas Farmer
  • Michigan Farmer
  • Missouri Ruralist
  • Nebraska Farmer
  • Ohio Farmer
  • Prairie Farmer
  • Southeast Farm Press
  • Southwest Farm Press
  • The Farmer
  • Wallaces Farmer
  • Western Farm Press
  • Western Farmer Stockman
  • Wisconsin Agriculturist

Letter to the editor

Dear Farm Industry News:
On your Web site, you provided an article about glyphosate and weed control and adding AMS to the product [“Glyphosate weed control,” posted June 29, 2004]. What is AMS? I am a farmer, but off hand do not know what those letters stand for.

Thanks, Dolly

Dear Dolly,
Thanks for visiting our Farm Industry News Web site.

AMS stands for ammonium sulfate, which is often needed as a water conditioner in glyphosate herbicide tank mixes. If your water is full of minerals, and farm well water often is, you probably need to use AMS with glyphosate. Otherwise the minerals can interfere with the herbicide's performance.

An excellent explanation of AMS and water hardness is available from the University of Wisconsin at

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.