Farm Progress is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Serving: East

Farm Wisconsin Discovery Center to open July 28

rendering of new Farm Wisconsin Discovery Center
CELEBRATION: An event will be held on July 28 to celebrate the grand opening of the Farm Wisconsin Discovery Center near Manitowoc.
The new facility near Manitowoc is expected to welcome 100,000 visitors per year.

Since 2010, a committed board of directors, staff and volunteers has been working to build the Farm Wisconsin Discovery Center. On July 28, the center will hold its grand opening.

The $13 million attraction is a world-class, interactive discovery center focused on the diversity of Wisconsin agriculture within a framework of sustainable and responsible farming practices. Farm Wisconsin is south of Manitowoc at 7001 Gass Lake Road, northwest of the Interstate 43 and County Road C intersection.

“Only 2% of Americans produce food for the other 98% of us,” says Julie Maurer, Farm Wisconsin board president and a Manitowoc County dairy farmer. “Wisconsin has a rich agricultural heritage. Visitors to the Farm Wisconsin Discovery Center will connect with that heritage and learn about the fascinating future of agriculture through interactive exhibits, farm tours and a birthing barn, where they can witness the miracle of calves being born.”

Nic Schoenberger, Farm Wisconsin board vice president, adds, “As a farmer, I am most pleased with Farm Wisconsin’s focus on agriculture and conservation. The land is our most important asset. The evolution of farm practices to minimize environmental impact is a great story.”

Farm Wisconsin will welcome an estimated 100,000 visitors per year, including school groups and bus tours of people of all ages.

Highlights include:
• 29,000-square-foot discovery center with educational displays and hands-on learning opportunities
• birthing barn where visitors can watch calves being born
• 300-person conference center
• opportunity to tour a local dairy farm
• café, ice cream counter and country store featuring Wisconsin products 

Currently, Farm Wisconsin is at 96% of its $13 million goal, and continues to welcome donations at all levels. Naming opportunities for selected areas are still available.

For more information or to make a donation, visit buildwaec.org, find the center on Facebook, or email Lauren Rose Hofland at [email protected].

Source: Farm Wisconsin Discovery Center

Hide comments
account-default-image

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish