Rice farmers will have a chance to hear from LSU AgCenter experts on the latest details of growing rice at a field tour and clinic being held Tuesday (May 20) at the farm of Larry and Kody Bieber. The session starts at 8:30 a.m.
The Bieber farm is at 1740 Bieber Road, 1 mile west of Mamou, La., and La. Highway 13.
Among the speakers are:
– Steve Linscombe, Xueyan Sha and Brookes Blanche, rice breeders, will discuss development of new varieties.
– Dustin Harrell, agronomist, will cover proper timing of fertilizer application and the use of Agrotain.
– Johnny Saichuk, extension rice specialist, will give an update on the current growing season’s progress.
– Eric Webster, weed scientist, will talk about herbicide applications.
– Don Groth, pathologist, will discuss fungicide application rates and timing.
– Natalie Hummell, extension entomologist, will talk about rice insect pests, primarily the rice water weevil.
– Gene Johnson, economist, will give a market outlook on rice.
For more information, call the LSU AgCenter Rice Research Station at (337) 788-7531.