Farm Progress is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Serving: West
flood_dairy_barn.jpg Photo by Todd Johnson, OSU Agricultural Communications Services
The loss of available forage for livestock is an economic hardship for Oklahoma cattle producers, whether it be to floodwaters or some other natural disaster.

ELAP may offset grazing losses incurred by floodwaters

Commercial livestock producers may qualify for Emergency Assistance. Urged to contact their FSA office.

Livestock producers whose commercial farm or ranch operations suffered grazing loss as a result of recent historic flooding should contact their Farm Service Agency office immediately.

Affected producers may qualify for financial aid under the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program, better known by its shortened moniker ELAP. The program is administered by FSA, part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

See, Deadline looming for commercial livestock producers to file with FSA

“Producers need to contact FSA within 30 days of the loss to qualify and fill out forms for submission,” said Trent Milacek, Oklahoma State University Cooperative Extension area agricultural economist. “Assistance might be available for a broad range of livestock: Alpacas, beef cattle, dairy cattle, beefalo, buffalo, deer, elk, emus, equines, goats, llamas, reindeer and sheep.”

Livestock must be animals that normally would have been feeding on the eligible grazing land or pastureland during the normal grazing period for the specific grazing land or pastureland type in the county where flooding occurred.

“Eligible animals must have been owned, cash-leased, purchased, under contract for purchase or raised by a qualifying contract grower or livestock producer during the 60 calendar days prior to the beginning date of floodwaters hitting the area,” said Rusty Humphrey, FSA executive director for Kay County.

See, Cattle producers should examine animals for signs of foot rot

Humphrey added eligible livestock also must have been maintained for commercial use as part of the producer’s farm or ranch operation on the beginning date of the floodwaters.

“Livestock that were or would have been in a feedlot are not eligible for grazing losses under ELAP,” he said.

In addition, eligible producers must have suffered a loss that is either native or improved pastureland with a permanent vegetative cover and planted to a crop specifically for the purpose of providing grazing for livestock covered under ELAP provisions.

See, Cattle producers warned to watch for blackleg, anthrax 

The daily livestock payment rate per head for eligible livestock grazing losses is $0.978 for 2019, according to USDA materials. Payments for eligible grazing losses will be calculated based on the normal carrying capacity of the eligible grazing land for the number of grazing days lost, not to exceed 150 days of lost grazing.

ELAP is designed to provide potential help for losses not covered by other disaster assistance programs such as the Livestock Forage Disaster Program and the Livestock Indemnity Program.

“The worst thing a producer can do is delay seeking assistance,” said Shannon Mallory, OSU Cooperative Extension agricultural educator for Kay County. “Failure to report losses to FSA in the initial reporting timeframe may derail a producer’s ability to qualify for assistance when he or she otherwise might have qualified.”

Livestock producers seeking additional information about potential flood recovery and relief should contact their OSU Cooperative Extension county office, typically listed in local directories under “County Government.”

“We can certainly help get a producer pointed in the right direction, and likely will be able to offer other useful information related to their specific operational needs as well,” Mallory said.

The Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service is one of two state agencies administered by the OSU Division of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, and is a key part of the university’s state and federally mandated teaching, research and Extension land-grant mission.

Source: is OSU, which is solely responsible for the information provided and is wholly owned by the source. Informa Business Media and all its subsidiaries are not responsible for any of the content contained in this information asset.

TAGS: Disaster
Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.