Pritchard receives service to ag award
Former Illinois Rep. Bob Pritchard, R-Hinckley, recently received the service to agriculture award from the Illinois Society of Professional Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers.
The citation, the highest the society presents to nonmembers, honors people who promote and advance the state’s agriculture industry. Pritchard was lauded for his years of service in the interest of Illinois farmers during his 15 years as a state legislator representing the Sycamore and DeKalb area.
Pritchard resigned from the Legislature in 2018 when he was named to the board of trustees at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb.
The award has been presented annually since 1940. Its recipients have included educators, farm media, secretaries of agriculture, state and federal legislators, and agribusiness leaders.
Tech Connect scheduled for July 16
Tech Connect, a new event from the Illinois Soybean Association checkoff program, provides practical advice to help producers sort through multiple tech options and determine their on-farm potential.
The one-day, free event will be held July 16 at the iHotel and Conference Center in Champaign, Ill. A lineup of speakers and breakout sessions will offer insight into available agriculture technologies.
The program will kick off with “Today’s Ag Tech Landscape,” exploring different categories of today’s ag tech offerings.
Attendees will learn how to implement and evaluate success from Chris Harbourt, adjunct professor of agricultural and bioengineering from the University of Illinois and an ag tech entrepreneur. He will share insights into evaluating a tech sales pitch and making the first year of on-farm implementation a success.
There will be three breakout sessions:
1. Inputs and Planning: Digital Insight for Real Decisions. Participating companies are Growers and Nutrien Ag Solutions.
2. Marketing and Risk Management: Apps and Software for Soft Commodities. Participating companies are AgYield and FarmLead.
3. Integrated Tech Platforms: Moving Toward Whole Farm Tech. Participating companies are Indigo Ag and Granular.
Attendees will also have the opportunity to learn from tech-savvy producers during a panel discussion, “Ag Tech Lessons From My Farm.” Technology company representatives will be available at the end of the program to answer questions.
The full agenda is available online, where producers can also reserve a seat. Space is limited to the first 75 registrants.
IDOA offers free agrichemical container recycling
The Illinois Department of Agriculture is encouraging farmers and agrichemical facilities to save their empty agrichemical containers as the department plans free container recycling days throughout the state.
Beginning in the middle of August and continuing into September, sites throughout Illinois will collect empty containers, which will be recycled and made into shipping pallets, plastic lumber and other useful products.
Metal and household pesticide containers are not eligible for the recycling program. Collection sites will accept only high-density polyethylene, No. 2 plastic agrichemical containers that are clean and dry. Participants are responsible for rinsing them and removing all caps, labels, booklets and foil seals.
Additional information can be found on the IDOA website.
There are permanent collection sites at CHS Inc. in Carrollton (call Bryan McMurtrie at 217-942-6991) and Klein Flying Service in Lawrenceville (call Robert Klein at 618-884-1040).
Single-day collection sites will appear across the state, with AM hours of 9 to 11 a.m. and PM hours of 1 to 3 p.m. Asterisks denote site hours are 8 to 11 a.m.
- Aug. 16 AM at Prairieland FS in Jacksonville; call Dick Stiltz at 217-243-6261.
- Aug. 19 PM at Sunrise FS in Virginia; call Mike Schone at 217-452-3936.
- Aug. 20 AM at Chem-Gro Inc. in Bowen; call Todd Nelson at 217-842-5514.
- Aug. 20 PM at Prairieland FS in Rushville; call Aaron Winner at 217-322-2024.
- Aug. 21 AM at Nutrien Ag Solutions Inc. in Blandinsville; call Travis Weaver at 309-652-3694.
- Aug. 21 PM at Nutrien Ag Solutions Inc. in Viola; call Todd Bennett at 309-596-2102.
- Aug. 22 PM at Carroll Service Co. in Milledgeville; call Dave Folk at 815-225-7101.
- Aug. 23 AM at Pearl City Elevator in Dakota; call Mark Wells at 815-449-2254.
- Aug. 26 PM at Conserv FS in Rockford; call Jeff Baxter at 815-963-7669.
- Aug. 27 AM at Conserv FS in Marengo; call Scott Creek at 815-568-7211.
- Aug. 27 PM at Helena Chemical Co. in DeKalb; call Dan Moore at 815-522-3251.
- Aug. 28 AM at Grainco FS in Lostant; call Josh Scott at 815-368-3215.
- Aug. 28 PM at CHS Inc. in Maple Park; call Dave Kleckner at 630-365-5027.
- Aug. 29 AM at Helena Chemical in Toluca; call Tyler Perry at 815-452-2377.
- Aug. 29 PM at Ag-Land FS in Hanna City; call Mark Alvey at 309-565-4315.
- Aug. 30 PM at Ag-Land FS in Lincoln; call Brad Schleder at 217-732-3113.
- Sept. 3 AM at Earlybird Feed & Fert. in Deer Creek; call Dave Howard at 309-613-0934.
- Sept. 3 PM at Nutrien Ag Sol. Inc. in Saunemin; call Steve Schaffer at 815-832-4491.
- Sept. 4 AM at Chebanse Ag in Chebanse; call Dean Schafer at 815-697-2392.
- Sept. 4 PM at Nutrien Ag Solution Inc. in Onarga; call Todd Miller at 815-268-4428.
- Sept. 5 AM at United Prairie in Tolono; call Ben Rawlins at 217-485-6000.
- Sept. 5 PM at Effingham Equity in Montrose; call Andy Meinhart at 217-342-3123.
- Sept. 6 AM at Brown’s Feed & Chemical in Carmi; call Greg Brown at 618-384-9518.
- Sept. 9 PM at Irvington Elevator in Irvington; call Steve Seidel at 618-249-6206.
- Sept. 10 AM* at Bockhorn Ag in Sparta; call Justin Bockhorn at 618-443-3905.
- Sept. 10 PM at Gateway FS in Waterloo; call Jerry Roosevelt at 618-282-4000.
- Sept. 11 AM* at Nutrien Ag Solutions Inc. in New Baden; call Jeff Haas at 618-588-3525.
- Sept. 12 AM at Woolsey Brothers in Vandalia; call Randy Goodman at 618-283-1263.
- Sept. 12 PM at Effingham Equity in Pana; call Andy Meinhart at 217-342-3123.
- Sept. 13 AM at M&M Service in Girard; call Andy Williamson at 217-627-2151.