The growing season can be demanding and hectic, and adding irrigation management to the equation can be enough to push you over the edge and force you into the fetal position!
Ok, it’s probably not quite that bad…but irrigating can undoubtedly be stressful, and it may leave you searching for a solution to put your mind at ease.
Exercise and yoga are common ways to aid in relaxation and stress reduction, but running a 5k or assuming Child’s Pose won’t do anything to eliminate your irrigation woes. The real solution is closer than you think, and it comes from your existing AgSense equipment.
While remote monitor and control are nice to have, you’re still only one person. What you really need is to have another set of eyes on everything. This is where text and email alerts come in, keeping you updated around the clock. To see what these alerts can do for you, check out this list of our top five must-have notifications:
- Start/Stop – Knowing whether a pivot has started or stopped can help answer many different questions. Why did the pivot stop unexpectedly? Do I need to go buy parts now or contact my dealer to fix the pivot? Did the genset get started? What time did that pivot start today? Did the pivot execute the timed start or stop command that I programmed? Did the pivot stop because the dealer has arrived to begin working on a known issue? Was the pivot auto-restarted? Did it safety out?
- Power On/Off – On the surface, you might think this alert provides the same info as the start/stop alerts; however, power on/off answers its own set of questions. Did this pivot enter load control? Is load control over? Which pivot should I visit first thing in the morning?
- Low/High PSI – For systems that monitor pressure, you can set up specific PSI values to alert you of low and high pressure. These alerts can let you know of issues such as plugged nozzles, unexpected pump stops or other issues with the pumping system. It’s not uncommon for water availability to become an issue late in the season; with the Low Pressure alert, you won’t have to wonder if it’s time to worry about that yet. You may even find that certain areas of the field, more than others, are affected by this.
- Stuck – Knowing about a stuck pivot right away can prevent a muddy mess and save the time required to free it up again. Problem areas in the field will be much more apparent. Not only will it save you water, but it can also prevent you from wasting fertilizer and causing years’ worth of damage.
- Theft – Falling victim to copper wire theft is not only aggravating – it can be expensive too! The cost of replacing the copper is just the beginning. Ultimately, yield loss caused by pivot downtime will be the biggest strain on your pocketbook. With a simple text message, you can save yourself the headache and stop thieves in their tracks. Best of all, it’s a much cheaper solution!
With so many different options, determining which alerts you want to receive can be kind of tricky. You want to know what’s going on, but nobody wants to be bombarded with messages either; there’s a fine line between staying informed and being annoyed with these notifications. The easiest way to set up the alerts is to start with all of them, and then eliminate the ones you don’t need. But before you disable any of them, remember: some of the alerts can provide more important information than you ever knew!