Pork producers can learn more about building ventilation from the inside out through a series of workshops in mid-March. "Managing Your Unseen Employee: The Ventilation System" will be offered free at five Iowa locations.
The series is offered by the Iowa Pork Industry Center and Iowa State University Extension, and is sponsored by Automated Production Systems. Lunch is provided.
Brett Ramirez, ISU agricultural and biosystems engineering, says the daylong program provides a two-pronged approach to understanding issues and consequences of decisions by combining classroom instruction with hands-on trials and application of knowledge gained in a real-world setting.
"Session content is divided into three categories delivered classroom style and a fourth that provides hands-on learning," he says. "In that final portion, attendees will be able to see and feel the impacts that design, maintenance and management can have on various ventilation practices through the use of Iowa State’s 24-foot mobile Swine Ventilation Trailer."
See more information in the workshop series brochure.
All workshops run from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Attendance is limited to 32 participants at each location, and people may sign up for one location only. Preregistration is required using this online form.
Workshop dates, locations and preregistration contacts are below.
- March 15, Sutherland, Northwest Research and Demonstration Farm, 6320 500th St., Contact Dave Stender, email@example.com, 712-225-6196
- March 16, Emmetsburg, Iowa Lakes Community College, 3200 College Dr., Contact Dave Stender, firstname.lastname@example.org, 712-225-6196
- March 17, Radcliffe, Hands On Excavating Shop, 3305 Ziegler Ave., Contact Russ Euken, email@example.com, 641-923-2856
- March 18, Cresco, Howard County Fairgrounds, Featherlite Center, 220 Seventh St. W, Contact Mark Storlie, firstname.lastname@example.org, 563-425-3331
- March 19, Iowa City, Johnson County Extension Office, 3109 Old Highway 218 S, Contact Matt Romoser, email@example.com, 319-430-7533