Did you know today, Sept. 20, is National Pepperoni Pizza Day?
Here’s some trivia on the most popular pizza variety, according to holidayinsights.com:
- Pepperoni pizza is preferred by 36% of people.
- More than 3 billion pizzas are sold in the U.S. each year.
- More pizzas are sold on Super Bowl Sunday than any other day of the year.
- Halloween is the second most popular day for eating pizza.
- More than 17% of restaurants serve pizza.
- The first pizza was sold in Naples, Italy, in 1738.
- Americans consume more than 23 pounds of pizza per year.
And according to the Pork Checkoff, pepperoni is one of the categories driving growth for pork in foodservice.
Here’s a sampling of what people are tweeting in honor of National Pepperoni Pizza Day.