The University of Wisconsin Extension Swine Team and Wisconsin Pork Association invite pork producers and industry members to attend the 2017 Badger Swine Symposium. This year’s event will be held on Nov. 10 at the UW-River Falls Agriculture Science Building at 611 S. 3rd Street, River Falls. Registration will begin at 9:30 a.m., and the program will start at 9:45 a.m. Lunch will be provided. The program will conclude by 3 p.m.
This year’s symposium includes the following topics and speakers:
• On-Farm PRRS Experiences and Upcoming Regulatory Changes — Gary Onan, Ph.D., Professional Animal Scientist, professor and chair, animal and food science, UW-River Falls; Tammy Vaassen, executive vice president, Wisconsin Pork Association; Dr. Darlene Konkle, Wisconsin assistant state veterinarian
• Niche Pasture Pork Panel — Zen Miller, producer, Marigold Farm, Appleton; Clay Juelfs, Skyline Gardens and Ponds Nursery, River Falls; Jake Sailer, processor, Sailer Food Market, Elmwood; Tim Brueggen, processor, Falls Meat Service, Pigeon Falls
• Pork Quality in Meat Lab — Laura Bachmeier, director of pork safety, National Pork Board; Jim Murray, food-service marketing manager, National Pork Board
• Swine Euthanasia — Kurt Vogel, Ph.D., associate professor, animal and food science, UW-River Falls
• Student research presentations — Darby Guse, WPA Mentor Program; Andrew Keller, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota; Kaleiah Schiller, University of California-Davis
The Badger Swine Symposium is free to attend, with sponsorship from the UW Extension Swine Team, Wisconsin Pork Association and the pork checkoff, as well as the animal and food science departments at UW-Madison, UW-Platteville and UW-River Falls. If you plan to attend the event, please RSVP by Nov. 3 to the Wisconsin Pork Association by calling 1-800-822-7675. Online registration is also available at wppa.org/badgerswine.
Source: UW Extension