Learn about growing hemp at the Northern Hemp Summit Nov. 19-20 at the Ramkota Hotel and Conference Center in Bismarck, N.D.
Sponsored by the North Dakota Department of Agriculture, the North Dakota Department of Commerce and North Dakota State University Extension, the summit will feature regional and national experts in hemp production, processing, policy, banking, insurance and feed. An exhibit hall will be open both days of the summit.
“There is considerable interest and activity in hemp in North Dakota,” says David Ripplinger, NDSU Extension bioproducts and bioenergy economics specialist. “This includes hemp oil, fiber and cannabidiol (CBD), all which will be discussed at the summit.”
The Northern Hemp Summit will provide those interested in hemp an opportunity to learn about the crop, its uses, legal and financial considerations, current hemp market conditions, and state and federal policy.
“North Dakota farmers have a long tradition of successfully growing new crops,” Ripplinger says. “The Northern Hemp Summit will provide an opportunity for farmers, lenders and others interested in hemp to quickly get up to speed and be ready for the 2020 growing season.”
The summit’s agenda is:
Tuesday, Nov. 19
- 10 a.m. — Welcome
- 10:10-11:10 a.m. — Keynote: Eric Steenstra, Vote Hemp
- 11:10 a.m. to noon — Regulation and Testing: John Mortensen, ND Department of Agriculture and Kia Mikesh, Adams Testing
- Noon to 5 p.m. — Exhibit Hall Open
- Noon — Lunch in Exhibit Hall
- 1-2:45 p.m. — Grain and Fiber Production: Burton Johnson, North Dakota State University and Clarence Laub and Neil Reitan, farmers
- 2:45-3:15 p.m. — Break, Exhibit Hall, Sponsored by Prairie Products
- 3:15-4:45 p.m. — CBD Production: Troy Goltz, Plantology, and Chris Adams, Adams Family Farms.
- 4:45 p.m. — Wrap-Up
- 6-8 p.m. — Networking event, Exhibit Hall
Wednesday, Nov. 20
- 7 a.m. to noon — Exhibit Hall open
- 7-8 a.m. — Breakfast
- 8-10 a.m. — Fiber Processing and Products: Chad Ulven, Professor, North Dakota State University; and John Lupein, Chief Technology Officer, C2 Renew
- 10-10:30 a.m. — Break
- 10:30-11:15 a.m. — Banking: Jeff Burch, Bank of the West
- 11:15-11:45 a.m. — CBD Processing: Tom Kading, Prairie Products
- Noon — Lunch
- 12:15 p.m. — Doug Fine, author and humorist.
- 1-2:15 p.m. — Hemp for Food: Roger Gussias, Healthy Oilseeds
- 2:15-3:30 p.m. — Hemp for Feed: Hunter Buffington, Hemp Feed Coalition, and Shawn Archibeque, Associate Professor, Colorado State University
- 3:30 p.m. — Program close
The early registration is available through Nov. 15 and costs $150 per person. Late registration opens Nov. 16 through the start of the summit, costing $195 per person. To register, visit northernhempsummit.org.
For more information, contact Ripplinger at 701-231-5265 or [email protected].Source: NDSU, which is solely responsible for the information provided and is wholly owned by the source. Informa Business Media and all its subsidiaries are not responsible for any of the content contained in this information asset.